• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am a rape victim, my name was printed in the paper and read on tv news

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Patricia Ross

On 2/20/99 I was raped. The case has been in the motion for trial stage for the past 18 months in Superior Court.

The defeandant violeted the restraining order I had on him since two days after the rape and on one occasion of this violation I taped recored the telephone conversation as evidence of his violation of the restraining order. I was not aware at that time that the act of recording a conversation when both partys are not aware of the recording was in violation of Federal wire tap laws.

This past Tuesday, the defense filed a motion with regard to allowing me to exercise my right to the fifth ammendment with regard to the recorded conversation but this was an all or nothing motion. If I chose to exerice that right it was with regard to the entire case not just the violation of Federal wire tape law.

I chose to exercise my right to the Fifth Amendament and the prosecuter then decided not to prosecute the case without me as a witness. I was not informed prior to my decescion that this would occur.

However, yesterday 7/22/00 the defense atty. issued a press release that included my name and my address. Most news paper publications and tv news stations that ran the story did not include my name and address. But many did. It is my understanding and that of the media that did not print my name and address that is in violation of a law to publicaly disloce tha name and or address of a rape or secual assulat victim. could you please eloborate on this for me.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">