• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am a witness to a domestic dispute.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
LOL This reminds me of my brother the night before our father's funeral: "Can I wear jeans?"

Come on, dude - at least get a pair of khakis and a button-down shirt. Dress slacks, white dress shirt & tie would be better. *Every* man should have those in his closet. Just as *every* woman should have a skirt & blouse. At minimum.

And it's tacky beyond belief to return clothes after wearing them. Plus, lots of places won't accept returns w/o original tags in place.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This guy is a toad if not a troll. Too lazy to put the clothes on himself? Aw, come on!
Many people are. We were discussing this over the weekend. I don't generally wear dresses/skirts. I just don't find them comfortable. But I have a basic stock - skirt, blouse, sweater, casual-ish dress, a couple of more dressy dresses. Shoes to fit. Appropriate evening wear. Appropriate funeral wear. Wear any maybe once a year. But I make sure all fit/are in good condition/clean if I need them on short notice. It's only civilized.

Just Blue

Many people are. We were discussing this over the weekend. I don't generally wear dresses/skirts. I just don't find them comfortable. But I have a basic stock - skirt, blouse, sweater, casual-ish dress, a couple of more dressy dresses. Shoes to fit. Appropriate evening wear. Appropriate funeral wear. Wear any maybe once a year. But I make sure all fit/are in good condition/clean if I need them on short notice. It's only civilized.
For decades my closet was the go to place for family members too lazy and or cheep to buy appropriate, all occasion gear. I had EVERYTHING...Evening gowns, Cocktail dresses, funeral clothing, interview suits...you name it I had it. Lovely things of beautiful quality (I literally went into mourning when Symms closed their doors).

Now? ...Just the basics. I haven't worn a dress since my nephews wedding 8 years ago.

woodsz

For decades my closet was the go to place for family members too lazy and or cheep to buy appropriate, all occasion gear. I had EVERYTHING...Evening gowns, Cocktail dresses, funeral clothing, interview suits...you name it I had it. Lovely things of beautiful quality (I literally went into mourning when Symms closed their doors).

Now? ...Just the basics. I haven't worn a dress since my nephews wedding 8 years ago.
I have done this year's before at a friend's closet and found a suite, BUT it was to big and I looked as if I was swimming in it. I wore it anyway and nobody said anything. Every part of the suite was baggy. I do t have the option anymore to go to a friend's closet. Also, dressing up is hard enough. I wonder if I could put on ironed flat black pajama pants with my suite? No...seriously.. it might work out..
I'm for real but I also want to look representable and comfortable at the same time. Not always easy.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for your reply. Your right, it's only a few hours of dressing nice and you make a good point.
I will go to Mens Warehouse and buy a suite and keep the receipt and return it after the court time is done. Always keep the receipt.
Why not just rent it instead of planning to defraud the company?

quincy

Just as a note: The word you want is "suit" not "suite." No "e." A suite is a set of rooms.

Your goal in dressing for court is to be presentable enough that you are permitted into the courtroom. Follow the dress code for your particular court and you'll be fine.

woodsz

Ok
Why not just rent it instead of planning to defraud the company?
Because I like to save money. I always clip coupons and returning 1 suit should not be a big deal. As long as I don't get a custom sized suit I should be fine. MW will put clothes on me from the floor the same day with a return period on the receipt. It says on the receipt that I can return the suit.
I really don't care about the testimony and prefer not to be there. If I have to a suit in them that's all I'm doing. I am not going to shower or anything so forget it all. Putting the suite on takes up most of my time anyway. I don't care about the case.

quincy

Ok

Because I like to save money. I always clip coupons and returning 1 suit should not be a big deal. As long as I don't get a custom sized suit I should be fine. MW will put clothes on me from the floor the same day with a return period on the receipt. It says on the receipt that I can return the suit.
I really don't care about the testimony and prefer not to be there. If I have to a suit in them that's all I'm doing. I am not going to shower or anything so forget it all. Putting the suite on takes up most of my time anyway. I don't care about the case.
It is too bad that you are not taking your role as witness seriously.

woodsz

Following is a link to an interesting look at courthouse dress codes and their constitutionality, published last year in the Harvard Law Review ("Sixth Amendment Challenge to Courthouse Dress Codes").

https://harvardlawreview.org/2018/01/sixth-amendment-challenge-to-courthouse-dress-codes/
This is not to imply, by the way, that the dress code should be challenged by wearing pajamas to testify in court as a witness.
Thank you for the information. It helps and I should read but I still going to return the suit.
It is too bad that you are not taking your role as witness seriously.
Yeah but why should I? It's not fair that I got dragged into the domestic issue and now I have to worry about what I'm going to wear to court because of all this this. I'll put a suit on BUT I'm not going comb my hair or anything. If the court wants me to do anything else then I'll pat down but it is what it will be. Its painful at best. My suit + axe spray and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">