• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am absolutely devastated....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

didnotlearn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Northeast Ohio

Hello,

Right now, I am thinking, how the hell can I be so dumb and stupid. I am so scared right now, it's not even funny. It's all my fault and I don't blame anyone for my mistakes.

Here is a history:

1st DUI was around in 2000. Did the weekend thing, paid my fines and moved on. I did field test and breathalizer test

2nd DUI was in March 2006. It was pure hell. I did the field test and breathalizer test. Didn't learn my lesson

Two night ago, I got stopped. I did the half of the field test and I was just so nervous and shaking that I gave up and told the officer that I was done after I stubled in one step while doing the line walk test... Got arrested. I refused the breatalizer test.

I know the mistake I made and I know there will be DIRE consequences to pay. I am absolute mental wreck right now. My court date for putting my plea is this week. I have an attorney which is suppose to be good. But they all say that.
I am sitting here, crying my eyes out and don't know what is going to happen. I guess the chances of me going to jail are pretty good if not definite.

I don't drink everyday, I don't have to drink...but now I realize that I have a problem. 3rd DUI. I am so screwed right now, that I don't think I will seriously be able to get through this. I decided to go to AA meetings to help me with this problem. What absolutely breaks me is that I have a great job, which I love, I am a professional, I work hard for everything, yet, I am in a brink of loosing everything right now....

What do you guys think I am looking at? I mean...do lgood awyers really help? Can this be over and can I know what my consequences are when I go to court with my attorney to give a plea?

I am so sorry about this....I truely am. I have a problem and I didn't learn first time nor second time.

riddick

yes, but it could be worse

As I am facing court for my first, and hopefully only, DUI, I can only imagine the pain you must be feeling. On the better side, at least you didn't do any property damage or physical harm to another person, it could be worse. As I posted here to see if anyone knew about some types of case details, I received one response which was "get a lawyer and do something about your alcoholism". That's not helpful advice and it's rather condescending.

As you said you don't even drink that much, I could say the same, but I chose to over do it and get in the car...a horrible lapse of good judgment. Your family can forgive you but to the law, you're just a number, a repeat offender. I spoke with a counselor some time ago about degrees of "alcoholism". Many people aren't daily habitual problem drinkers, sometimes they just have 1 or 2, and sometimes they purposely get loaded and like it, and they also function normally as people otherwise, but to the degree that their behavior interferes with the quality of their life...then there is the problem. Intellectually, I'm sure you are aware of this, but it can be harder to accept on a deeper emotional level. The impact this can have on your total life can be devastating of course, and that is a good enough reason alone to seek emotional guidance.

Bottom line is now I must accept that I can never drink and drive again...never. Going out to have a little fun won't ever be the same but there are other ways to enjoy yourself. I know this advice might not be of much help, but there is a path to redemption and not in respect of the law necessarily, but more importantly for yourself. Best of luck to you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Northeast Ohio

Hello,

Right now, I am thinking, how the hell can I be so dumb and stupid. I am so scared right now, it's not even funny. It's all my fault and I don't blame anyone for my mistakes.

Here is a history:

1st DUI was around in 2000. Did the weekend thing, paid my fines and moved on. I did field test and breathalizer test

2nd DUI was in March 2006. It was pure hell. I did the field test and breathalizer test. Didn't learn my lesson

Two night ago, I got stopped. I did the half of the field test and I was just so nervous and shaking that I gave up and told the officer that I was done after I stubled in one step while doing the line walk test... Got arrested. I refused the breatalizer test.

I know the mistake I made and I know there will be DIRE consequences to pay. I am absolute mental wreck right now. My court date for putting my plea is this week. I have an attorney which is suppose to be good. But they all say that.
I am sitting here, crying my eyes out and don't know what is going to happen. I guess the chances of me going to jail are pretty good if not definite.

I don't drink everyday, I don't have to drink...but now I realize that I have a problem. 3rd DUI. I am so screwed right now, that I don't think I will seriously be able to get through this. I decided to go to AA meetings to help me with this problem. What absolutely breaks me is that I have a great job, which I love, I am a professional, I work hard for everything, yet, I am in a brink of loosing everything right now....

What do you guys think I am looking at? I mean...do lgood awyers really help? Can this be over and can I know what my consequences are when I go to court with my attorney to give a plea?

I am so sorry about this....I truely am. I have a problem and I didn't learn first time nor second time.
YOu can expect loss of license. Consider that you will be taking the bus for a long time. You will be facing jail time. You will also be facing severe fines. A good lawyer could help. Your insurance on your car will SKYROCKET.

didnotlearn

ohiogal, I know for sure I won't be able to drive for long time. I think I will get 3 years suspension. My absolute fear is going to jail for more time that I have banked for my days off at work. (2 weeks) If I lose my job, I will lose everything...

This happened 3 days ago and I still feel the very same way when I got pulled over... sick to my stomach. I could just throw up all day long if I could.

FlyingRon

Yes, it's a three year ALS.

You need a lawyer. You're going to spend 15 days in the slammer plus a period of house arrest or work release at the MINIMUM. These alternative sentences aren't available in all Ohio counties, in which case you're going to spend 30 days (MINIMUM) in jail.

didnotlearn

FlyingRon, even though its my 2nd in 3 years? The 1st one was 8-9 years ago. You say they will treat it for penalties as a 3rd one?

Here is what I look at for 2nd

2nd Offense

ALS for one year for a prohibited BAC;

ALS for test refusal = two year license suspension;

Jail - Minimum of 10 consecutive days or five days jail + minimum 18 consecutive days of electronically monitored house arrest combined, not to exceed 6 months;

Fine - Minimum $300 and not more than $1,500;

Discretionary driver's intervention program;

Vehicle immobilization and plates impounded for 90 days;

Court License Suspension - 1 year to 5 years.

and this is 3rd:

ALS for two years for a prohibited BAC;

ALS for test refusal = three year license suspension;

Jail - Minimum 30 consecutive days to one year;

Alternative sentence - 15 days or Jail + minimum 55 consecutive days of electronically monitored house arrest combined, maximum of one year;

Fine - Minimum $500 and not more than $2,500;

Mandatory attendance in an alcohol treatment program paid for by offender;

Vehicle immobilization and plates impounded for 180 days;

Court License Suspension - 1 year to 10 years.

I do have an attorney. He "suppose" to be good. So far, they have been in very open communication with me and call me and return my calls. Unlike the last one I had.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I believe in Ohio it will be treated as your third since they have all happened in 10 years. I believe the lookback is much longer than that actually.

didnotlearn

I am screwed...if they treat it as 3rd and give me max.. I could end up 1 year in jail then.

I am not sure if I can get through this. I haven't slept in 3 days and live on coffee. I am so sick to my stomach. I beed crying all these days and I feel so lost right now. I am an adult and I act like a 18 year old kid with this drinking and driving... HOW STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

didnotlearn

They can have me on a radar all the want after this is over...I am done with alcohol. Even though I drink sometimes on weekends when I go out with friends. That last time, was the first time I drove after having few beers...since my last DUI. I don't know WHY I got in a car, I really don't know. I was going to call a cab. Not sure why I didn't.

It's over and I am done. I need to grow up. Even though I drink only on occasional weekends with my friends, alcohol is causing me a lot of problems and obviously I am not responsible enough. My mind is going 10000 mph right now since it happened. I constantly think what if I got someone hurt or even worst, killed someone. I need to separate myself from all of this and do my best to get through this. I just hope and pray to God I won't lose my job over this. If I do, I am not sure what I will be able to do to get my life back on track. Right now, I feel like a lowest piece of dirt on earth.

Last edited:

Hot Topic

You're still figuring out ways to drink and how to rationalize your drinking. You say you're through with alcohol, then turn around and say that you drink occasionally on weekends with friends. YOU CAN'T DRINK AT ALL. You can't handle it.

The state needs to protect other drivers and their passengers from you. Tears won't save you from your history. Take your "medicine," then please commit yourself to a program for alcoholics.

didnotlearn

no no no.. I didn't mean that. What I meant was I WAS drinking with my friends on weekends. I am done with it. I know I have a problem and have to face it head on.

I already looked into AA meetings in my area and I absolutely plan on attending them very soon. Today I threw out whatever I had in my house that had to do with alcohol (shotglasses that I never used, drink stirs, new in a box, beer mugs) emptied little booze that I had right to the toilet...

I am done....my friends support me with it too...

BL

New in Box ?

Oh oh , having second thoughts ?

Ask to be a trustee if ya get a year .

Nativity

When you got your first DUI and then your Second DUI how many of the same things did you say then?

How much of the same things did you throw out then?

Christina1225

3rd Time is NOT a Charm

I don't understand how you could let this happen for a 3rd time me being someone who JUST experienced this for both the first and the last time. I just went to the Victim Impact Panel and would NEVER put myself or others in that position ever again. Like the police officer said at the panel you all fall into the "No Excuses" category we are no longer allowed the privilege of saying "Your Honor I wasn't aware of that!" You need to get your crap together I bet you were feeling terrible after the first 2 offenses happened and here you are again. I know people make mistakes but you don't deserve to have a license in my opinion. If you truly have a problem go to inpatient rehab and get your life together. Do you want this to be your legacy? :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">