• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am being served!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jennm22

-Washington State-
About three years ago some medical bills went into collections. We were contacted 18 months ago by the collector and so we started paying them $200. a month (they said it was the minimum payment arrangements they would accept). We were paying on it for about 6 months and then my husband lost his job and with only my part time income we could only pay $100 a month. They accepted and then after a few months said it wasn't good enough anymore. If we didn't pay more they would pursue legal action. So, (and I know this is bad on our part) we stopped paying them anything. Then about three months ago we enrolled in a debt management program. We are paying $100. a month to this particular collector. My counselor at the debt mgmt. program sent them a letter stating what our plan was to get this paid off. They refused to respond. Instead they continued to call our old address (which was with my mom) and harass her. They even called her neighbor trying to get info about us. So I contacted them and told them not to call any one but our counselor. They got our new phone # and now our address from the call. The thing is...we are making payments of more than 6% of the bill. If they accept our next payment (goes into their acct. tomorrow) they cannot pursue further legal action because it is our 3rd. However, a sheriff is trying to contact me to serve me with papers. I believe they are from this collection agency. Should I avoid the papers to see if they accept my payment? or should I just take the papers and deal with it? and...Can they actually not take my payment and still pursue action? wouldn't that be refusing payment? I really need help. We can't afford a garnishment, nor the court fees we will get from it. I am a student. The sheriff is coming back tomorrow morning. Should I not be here???

bigun

Never heard of "the 3rd times the charm " law but, if that works in your state I don't see how it could hurt to try. Yeah, I think tomorrow could be a good day to run errands and see if they accept the payment.

J

Jennm22

Well, the thing is that they don't have to accept my payment arrangements if they are going to pursue further action to get the money. According to my debt counselor, if I am making payments of at least 6% of the bill, and they accept 3 of the payments, they have accepted the arrangements and can't pursue legal action. If I miss a payment or default on our agreement then they have me. Thanks for your reply!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">