• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am from Italy - Need your help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

And1485

I got arrested in California during my holidays in 2010. I had to pay a 1765 USD fine and since I came back to Italy after 10 days from my arrest, I sent my money to a man, who was a friend of a friend. After a couple of years he told me that he never paid my fine because he got robbed... I really want to know what can I do to solve this problem. I can not find my report on the CourtHouse web site. Please contact me if you need any further informations. I really need Your help because at the moment I can't even know if I can come to U.S. again. Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You need to call an attorney in the area you were arrested in (try this site: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/Need-Legal-Help/Lawyer-Referral-Service).

There is almost certainly a warrant out for your arrest. While it may not result in your immediate arrest on arrival in the US, it certainly can happen if you are exposed to any interaction with law enforcement (especially in California).

I am somewhat suspect of the completeness of your story. A DUI in California is not resolved by just paying a fine.

LdiJ

You need to call an attorney in the area you were arrested in (try this site: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/Need-Legal-Help/Lawyer-Referral-Service).

There is almost certainly a warrant out for your arrest. While it may not result in your immediate arrest on arrival in the US, it certainly can happen if you are exposed to any interaction with law enforcement (especially in California).

I am somewhat suspect of the completeness of your story. A DUI in California is not resolved by just paying a fine.
It might be if the DUI was by a foreign national due to leave the country. When my ex's cousin got in some trouble here they just put him on a plane back to Italy.

And1485

I had a trial when I was there and the judge told me that I had to pay a fine and attend an online course due to get a certificate (I paid 600$ for that and I still have that certificate at home).
I need to come back to US very soon because of my job and I don't know what to do.
I'm going to call an attorney in Los Angeles.
Thank you. Any other advice is welcome.

FlyingRon

OK, so what you have is not a failure to appear, but a failure to pay. The lawyer will help, but likely you are safe to travel and it will just cost you additional money to resolve this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">