• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am not sure where else to ask this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

... We see a scene of that in the classic holiday movie "It's a Wonderful Life" starring Jimmy Stewart, one of the finest actors Hollywood has ever seen, IMO. ...
Although I agree Jimmy Stewart was one of the greatest actors Hollywood has ever seen, I personally have never liked “It’s a Wonderful Life” or his performance in it. He was much more impressive in several other films.

Just Blue

Although I agree Jimmy Stewart was one of the greatest actors Hollywood has ever seen, I personally have never liked “It’s a Wonderful Life” or his performance in it. He was much more impressive in several other films.
Harvy was my favorite Jimmy Stewart movie. I love that movie! So charming!

quincy

Harvy was my favorite Jimmy Stewart movie. I love that movie! So charming!
“Harvey” is my favorite Jimmy Stewart film, too, although “Philadelphia Story,” “Rear Window,” “Anatomy of a Murder,” and “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington” are all close seconds. Haha.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I think "It's a Wonderful Life" is a good, though not great film. The fact that it gets shown heavily every Christmas season does not do it any favors. I get tired seeing any film too repetitively. And yes, there are certainly better performances of Jimmy Stewart, but none that feature a run on banks so my choices were limited. :D

Bali Hai Again

No sign of an economic collapse other than the average 401(k), 403(b) and IRA,s invested in growth stock mutual funds have lost an average of 20-40% since the current POTUS was sworn into office. There is no choice but to stay invested and ride it out until they are voted out of office. I don’t see how he could wreck the economy any more than he has. I will not bore you with a detailed list.

My understanding is bank accounts are insured at 250k per person per account and 500k for joint accounts with two persons.

PayrollHRGuy

And that's your takeaway from what TM wrote. SMH

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
While that's hard to predict with absolute certainty, an economic collapse in which many banks fail, as in the Great Depression doesn't seem to be anywhere on the horizon right now. If anything, the economy is super heated right now, which is why the Federal Reserve is trying to cool things down. Most people don't realize it but bank failures are not that uncommon. However, in the past the federal and state regulators usually resolved troubled banks quietly, usually having another, stronger bank take over the failed institution. So most of these bank problems don't make much news. And the failure of a bank every so often isn't going to cause economic collapse. The problem in the 1930s was there was no deposit insurance, no consistent regulation of banks, and no plans in place to deal with bank collapses so the savings of the average person could, and did, get wiped out in the infamous runs on the banks. We see a scene of that in the classic holiday movie "It's a Wonderful Life" starring Jimmy Stewart, one of the finest actors Hollywood has ever seen, IMO. Since the creation of the FDIC, so far no person has ever lost any money in a bank failure.

But economic collapses can sometimes occur very suddenly with little warning. So for persons who have more than $250,000 that they want to stuff into a bank account (which is not a great way to invest, btw) it makes sense to split that among different banks to get all your accounts insured.
Aaaah, TM. Our resident voice of reason.

Bali Hai Again

Jimmy Stewart probably would have won if he ran for President, however, we’ve had enough of Hollywood clowns in the Whitehouse (‘81-‘89).

TM for President!!

adjusterjack

More Scottish Gaelic?
Middle English, actually. Derived from meyne, meaning a large group.

(Pulled a rabbit out of my hat there, didn't I?)

:cool:

I think "It's a Wonderful Life" is a good, though not great film. The fact that it gets shown heavily every Christmas season does not do it any favors. I get tired seeing any film too repetitively. And yes, there are certainly better performances of Jimmy Stewart, but none that feature a run on banks so my choices were limited. :D
Miracle on 34th Street is a hell of a lot more fun to watch annually. Who doesn't groove on the Post Office delivering thousands of letters to the courtroom to validate Santa Claus.

(Yes, I wrote "groove." I'm that old. LOL)

:cool:

Jimmy Stewart probably would have won if he ran for President, however, we’ve had enough of Hollywood clowns in the Whitehouse (‘81-‘89).
Jimmy Stewart was 73 in 1981. Let's postulate an alternate history where Jimmy Stewart had political aspirations, say, in the 1950s. He would more likely have run for the Presidency in 1960. Having been a combat pilot during WWII and promoted to Brigadier General in 1959 he might have had the support of Eisenhower and given JFK a run for his money. Let your imagination take it from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">