• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am on SSI/SSDI and have direct deposit do I need to do anything to get my stimulus?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

I disagree a bit. Payouts are going to be stretching out a bit longer than you think. Paper checks will be gradually sent ou through August and direct deposits will stretch out at least some weeks. Someone should not assume there is a problem just because the didn't get theirs in the first two waves.
The IRS site has been updated and now shows that SSA and RRB Form 1099, and SSI and VA benefit information has not yet been entered into the IRS system for those who do not normally file a return. So there will be a delay in direct deposits.

And those who are expecting paper stimulus checks will be waiting awhile, too. These checks will not even be printed until May 1.

Should people worry if they have not received the promised stimulus money? Yes. They should worry about government incompetence.

Last edited:

Cooper@1960

Quincy I again checked the "track my money" site this past Monday and it stated my paper check will be sent out on April 24th. That conflicts with your comment that paper checks won't be printed till May 1st. Of coarse that may or may not happen, we will see. That site also said I will be receiving a letter regarding my stimulas check, not sure why that's necessary.

quincy

Quincy I again checked the "track my money" site this past Monday and it stated my paper check will be sent out on April 24th. That conflicts with your comment that paper checks won't be printed till May 1st. Of coarse that may or may not happen, we will see. That site also said I will be receiving a letter regarding my stimulas check, not sure why that's necessary.
I received my information on paper checks not being printed until May 1 from my own bank and not the IRS site. I am choosing to trust what my bank says over what the IRS is saying. :)

The letters are being sent mostly to confirm receipt of the stimulus money.

LdiJ

The IRS site has been updated and now shows that SSA and RRB Form 1099, and SSI and VA benefit information has not yet been entered into the IRS system for those who do not normally file a return. So there will be a delay in direct deposits.

And those who are expecting paper stimulus checks will be waiting awhile, too. These checks will not even be printed until May 1.

Should people worry if they have not received the promised stimulus money? Yes. They should worry about government incompetence.
Re the bolded...unless something has changed in the last few days those checks will START to be mailed on May 1st. The published information was that the IRS would print a quantity of 5 million checks per week, from then until late August...with priority given to the ones where they made bad direct deposits.

quincy

Re the bolded...unless something has changed in the last few days those checks will START to be mailed on May 1st. The published information was that the IRS would print a quantity of 5 million checks per week, from then until late August...with priority given to the ones where they made bad direct deposits.
All I know is that my bank said the checks would start being printed on May 1. I suppose my bank could be wrong.

LdiJ

All I know is that my bank said the checks would start being printed on May 1. I suppose my bank could be wrong.
I think that your bank is wrong. Its estimated that the IRS will need to mail 70 million checks. They cannot do that in one week. They don't have the capacity to do that.

quincy

I think that your bank is wrong. Its estimated that the IRS will need to mail 70 million checks. They cannot do that in one week. They don't have the capacity to do that.
I never said that my bank said that the IRS would be mailing the checks on May 1 - just that the checks would be printed on May 1. Actual bank message is: “Paper checks are expected to begin printing on May 1.”

I suppose it is possible that my bank got tired of fielding questions about the stimulus money and purposely gave erroneous information and a random date.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I never said that my bank said that the checks would be mailing the checks - just that the checks would be printed on May 1.

I suppose it is possible that my bank got tired of fielding questions about the stimulus money and purposely gave erroneous information and a random date.
The point I was making is that the IRS does not have the capacity to print 70 million checks in one week. If they could print them in one week they could mail them in one week. At that point the discussion would be if the post office could handle an additional 70 million pieces of mail in one week LOL.

Seriously, what the IRS said that they were going to do is to print 5 million checks per week over a 14 week span. I could see them ramping up capacity to maybe cut that back maybe even by half with heroic efforts, but doing it in one week is completely unrealistic. On top of that, that was before they messed up and sent millions of direct deposits to wrong accounts that they knew were wrong that they now have to send out as paper checks.

quincy

Still not a trace of my money
I am sorry to hear that. I have heard from others who are still waiting on their direct deposits, too.

You can keep trying to get information from the IRS site. I don’t know how helpful that will be, though.

The whole system is a mess.

Cooper@1960

I thought it was interesting as well considering the web site stated my check would be mailed the 24th., not arriving the 24th. Considering all the conflicting info about when paper checks were to start I wanted to post so the OP knows the paper checks are being sent. Of coarse that doesn't mean their check is in the mail, I got lucky and must have been in the first wave.

quincy

I thought it was interesting as well considering the web site stated my check would be mailed the 24th., not arriving the 24th. Considering all the conflicting info about when paper checks were to start I wanted to post so the OP knows the paper checks are being sent. Of coarse that doesn't mean their check is in the mail, I got lucky and must have been in the first wave.
There is definitely a lot of conflicting information out there. My bank is still stating paper checks will begin printing on May 1. Most unusual. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">