• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I bought a car for a friend now I want my money back.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

I am sorry but I think that you are dead wrong. You are making the assumption that any gift is automatically considered a loan in TX without evidence to the effect that it was a gift. Even under your assumption, the fact that the title was put in the name of someone else, with no lien included on said title, is evidence enough of the gift.

On top of that, the title is in the name of a THIRD party to the transaction. I cannot fathom why you are giving this OP any encouragement at all.
First, it is not "my" assumption. It is a legal presumption recognized in Texas.

Provide evidence please to support your statements. Thanks.

LdiJ

First, it is not "my" assumption. It is a legal presumption recognized in Texas.

Provide evidence please to support your statements. Thanks.
Provide evidence to support yours. I agree that in TX the legal presumption is a loan, but in this instance there is a title in someone's name with no lien. You are refusing to recognize that.

quincy

Provide evidence to support yours. I agree that in TX the legal presumption is a loan, but in this instance there is a title in someone's name with no lien. You are refusing to recognize that.
And the friend is free to argue that and anything else to show it was a gift.

But the friend has to overcome the presumption that it is a loan.

LdiJ

And the friend is free to argue that and anything else to show it was a gift.

But the friend has to overcome the presumption that it is a loan.
Again, you are dead wrong. You cannot say that the presumption is that it is a loan because title was given to someone...someone who is even a third party in this instance.

quincy

Again, you are dead wrong. You cannot say that the presumption is that it is a loan because title was given to someone...someone who is even a third party in this instance.
Explain please where in the law it says that having title to a car precludes a loan?

quincy

Why is the law not relevant?

The law presumes property or money that is given to a non-relative is a loan, absent evidence to the contrary.

It is up to the person receiving the property or money to show the property or money was a gift.

That is about as relevant as it gets for this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">