• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I bought a motorcycle with a bad title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mf77287

I live in Texas. I made my first vehicle purchase (motorcycle) without looking at the title carefully from a guy on craigslist.

I bought the motorcycle from a man who owns a motorcycle shop. He has a website and everything. Seems like he takes pride in his shop and has been there for a while.The motorcycle title he gave me with the bike was issued from the state of Illinois under the name of Kurt, not the mechanic himself. The mechanic/shop owner got the bike in a trade. I know I'm an idiot. The mechanic said the title was clean and he even recommended a place for me to get the title under my name. The title is signed and dated on February 2010 buy the Kurt guy who it is issued to.

I really don't know how this all works. I read that you have to do it after a certain period the vehicle is sold otherwise there are fees. In that case this vehicle was sold back in 2010. Am I screwed?? Is this title bad? HELP PLEASE!!

mf77287

Wow. That MUST mean he's legit. :rolleyes:

So what exactly is the problem now? You are not explaining what your issue is. Did you try to register the vehicle?

I haven't gone in an tried yet. I guess I should try first. But I'm just suspicious now that I've looked at it closely. I just want another persons opinion on it.

OHRoadwarrior

If he owns a motorcycle shop, take back the bike and title, tell him you want a clear one or a refund. If he refuses, file a complaint with the Texas Atty. Generals offic.

single317dad

I'm not seeing a problem yet either. Did the original owner (Kurt) sign the title as the seller? Has anyone filled in the information as the buyer?

You're correct that you'll have to pay the late fee, unless the dealer properly reassigned the title. Is the bike shop a registered dealer?

mf77287

I'm not seeing a problem yet either. Did the original owner (Kurt) sign the title as the seller? Has anyone filled in the information as the buyer?

You're correct that you'll have to pay the late fee, unless the dealer properly reassigned the title. Is the bike shop a registered dealer?
My main problem was 1)Will I be able to transfer the title into my name? Without having to get in touch with the original owner on the title (KURT)? 2) And will there be late fees and how much?

He is not a registered dealer. But he is the owner of the motorcycle mechanic shop.

Last edited:

Astrolink

My main problem was 1)Will I be able to transfer the title into my name? Without having to get in touch with the original owner on the title (KURT)? 2) And will there be late fees and how much?

He is not a registered dealer. But he is the owner of the motorcycle mechanic shop.
As long there are no liens showing on the title and the buyer's information is blank and ready for you to fill in, there should be no problem. The late fee in TX is $10.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As long there are no liens showing on the title and the buyer's information is blank and ready for you to fill in, there should be no problem. The late fee in TX is $10.
Bad information. The OP cannot register this bike without the intermediary "buyer" taking title and paying the appropriate taxes and fees first. Or, are you advising the OP to perjure himself when filling out the paperwork relating to the seller?

Astrolink

The intermediate "buyer" (motorcycle mechanic) took the bike in on trade. They may or may not have the taxes already taken into account. The confusion of the OP makes that impossible to assess. I'm afraid to introject any more info as to confuse them more. To be guaranteed to be fully in compliance with the law, yes, the mechanic should transfer the motorcycle into his/her name first. Or, fill out the appropriate information on the title showing the bike as a trade, if indeed they legally can, although if the OP's info is accurate, it doesn't sound like they would be able to.

Last edited:

Zigner

The intermediate "buyer" (motorcycle mechanic) took the bike in on trade. They may or may not have the taxes already taken into account. The confusion of the OP makes that impossible to assess. I'm afraid to introject any more info as to confuse them more. To be guaranteed to be fully in compliance with the law, yes, the mechanic should transfer the motorcycle into his/her name first. Or, fill out the appropriate information on the title showing the bike as a trade, if indeed they legally can, although if the OP's info is accurate, it doesn't sound like they would be able to.
Even a trade has a value...

And, if the mechanic can't do it, how in the world could the OP do it?

Title skipping is NOT legal, nor is falsifying registration documents by claiming that you are buying it from person A when you are really buying it from person B.

How can one be in compliance with the law without being fully in compliance? You either comply or you don't. We don't advise folks to break the law.

Astrolink

Even a trade has a value...

And, if the mechanic can't do it, how in the world could the OP do it?

Title skipping is NOT legal, nor is falsifying registration documents by claiming that you are buying it from person A when you are really buying it from person B.

How can one be in compliance with the law without being fully in compliance? You either comply or you don't. We don't advise folks to break the law.
I've had 276 cars and 20 bikes (keeping a running total) in my name in my life. I'm certainly well versed in title transfers and don't advocate breaking the law. If I were the OP, I'd take the title to his local DMV, have them look at it and let him know what he needs to do. The title really needs to be seen to make a 100% accurate assessment.

Zigner

I've had 276 cars and 20 bikes (keeping a running total) in my name in my life. I'm certainly well versed in title transfers and don't advocate breaking the law. If I were the OP, I'd take the title to his local DMV, have them look at it and let him know what he needs to do. The title really needs to be seen to make a 100% accurate assessment.
In other words, you now acknowledge that your prior "advice" was off the mark. You are no longer telling the OP that it's fine to skip title. Thank you for clarifying that.

justalayman

whether it was taken in on trade, the mechanic paid twice market value, or it was absolutely free, the title must be registered in the mechanics name and then it can be transferred to op. What is happening is called title skipping or title jumping and is illegal.

a licensed dealer can float a title through their business but there is still a record of the sale with the dealer. Since mechanic is not a licensed dealer, he cannot float the title through his business and not take title in his name to sell to another party (like OP).

Astrolink

In other words, you now acknowledge that your prior "advice" was off the mark. You are no longer telling the OP that it's fine to skip title. Thank you for clarifying that.
Actually, I'd call it refined advice, based on the limited info provided. I don't really trust the original info, as using the term "bad title" in the original post most likely does not fit. I've been offered bad titles, like the VIN on the title and the car not matching, or the VIN on the car showing a 2 door sedan of the proper year, but the car was a hardtop, or folks using whiteout to change info. Those are bad titles.

Zigner

Actually, I'd call it refined advice, based on the limited info provided. I don't really trust the original info, as using the term "bad title" in the original post most likely does not fit. I've been offered bad titles, like the VIN on the title and the car not matching, or the VIN on the car showing a 2 door sedan of the proper year, but the car was a hardtop, or folks using whiteout to change info. Those are bad titles.
Backpedaling :rolleyes:

The OP was clear what the situation was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">