• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I bought stock, then company went private. How do I get my money back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mymoneyisgone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia

Actually, the money is gone because the stock price dropped so low before they went private. But at least I'd like to cut my losses. I can't because no one will buy the stock. It's trading pink sheets right now, but otoh, I also get quarterly reports by email from the CEO which state at the bottom that it is in violation of SEC regulations to trade the stock and that the company asks us not to do so. :confused:

So, basically, I lent this company $3500 to do their business. They didn't do such a good job, so the stock price went down. That I understand. If they went bankrupt, I'd understand that, too. But they went private.
So, how is that they can just hold to the rest of my money forever?

Can I not just sell it at a loss to prevent the amt. I lose from being so much?

Hey, I'm sleeping on the floor here because I can't afford a mattress. I wonder if the CEO of that company is doing that?:(

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia

Actually, the money is gone because the stock price dropped so low before they went private. But at least I'd like to cut my losses. I can't because no one will buy the stock. It's trading pink sheets right now, but otoh, I also get quarterly reports by email from the CEO which state at the bottom that it is in violation of SEC regulations to trade the stock and that the company asks us not to do so. :confused:

So, basically, I lent this company $3500 to do their business. They didn't do such a good job, so the stock price went down. That I understand. If they went bankrupt, I'd understand that, too. But they went private.
So, how is that they can just hold to the rest of my money forever?

Can I not just sell it at a loss to prevent the amt. I lose from being so much?

Hey, I'm sleeping on the floor here because I can't afford a mattress. I wonder if the CEO of that company is doing that?:(
No, you actually INVESTED in a company and lost your investment. Happens all the time.

First, let me say that I feel you pain. However, in any case unless you purchased the stock at the IPO you didnt buy anything from the company, simply an interest in the company. You bought it from someone else, who invested before you did.

Risk is the part of any investment. Investments are never guaranteed to appreciate. If a company went private that means that they repurchased all shares outstanding. If the stock is on the pink sheets, its not private.. It was just de-listed from whatever exchange it traded on.

Remember, stocks are simply pieces of paper..

racer72

Lots of folks seem to forget that buying stock is just like gambling, it just takes longer to win or lose. There are a whole lot of folks losing now days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">