• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I co-signed on a car, car and primary fled the state, blocked all contact with me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Emmers

What is the name of your state? Oregon

Years ago, I co-signed on a car with an abusive boyfriend in order to avoid a series of fights after intimidating me into doing it. Fast forward 4 months after I signed, I finally got the courage to leave him and he took the car to Idaho where it has been for the last 3 or so years. I haven't had contact with him in over a year and a half, and whenever I did have contact with him I would ask him to re-finance to get my name off of the car. Always nasty calls and messages from him, and I just kept trying to encourage him to re-finance every few months. He eventually blocked me on all forms of communication. Ever since I left him, 3 years ago, I get a letter in the mail every 2 weeks that he's late on payment. Every. 2. Weeks. I've called the bank a million times, and they won't do anything unless he's 90 days past due. He has never been 90 days past due, so they won't even repo the car. It has slowly but surely ruined my credit. I just want my name off of it so I can finally get approved for a place to live. I get denied for everything credit wise.

Is there anything I can do to get my name off? There's still $8,000 owed, so I'm not going to stop getting these letters for a long time. I don't have contact with him, the bank doesn't even have his address or phone number, I have no idea where in Idaho he is, otherwise I'd probably drive the 9 hours to go get the dang car myself.

LdiJ

Years ago, I co-signed on a car with an abusive boyfriend in order to avoid a series of fights after intimidating me into doing it. Fast forward 4 months after I signed, I finally got the courage to leave him and he took the car to Idaho where it has been for the last 3 or so years. I haven't had contact with him in over a year and a half, and whenever I did have contact with him I would ask him to re-finance to get my name off of the car. Always nasty calls and messages from him, and I just kept trying to encourage him to re-finance every few months. He eventually blocked me on all forms of communication. Ever since I left him, 3 years ago, I get a letter in the mail every 2 weeks that he's late on payment. Every. 2. Weeks. I've called the bank a million times, and they won't do anything unless he's 90 days past due. He has never been 90 days past due, so they won't even repo the car. It has slowly but surely ruined my credit. I just want my name off of it so I can finally get approved for a place to live. I get denied for everything credit wise.

Is there anything I can do to get my name off? There's still $8,000 owed, so I'm not going to stop getting these letters for a long time. I don't have contact with him, the bank doesn't even have his address or phone number, I have no idea where in Idaho he is, otherwise I'd probably drive the 9 hours to go get the dang car myself.
No, there is really nothing that you can do unless the car is also titled in your name and you can go get it.

quincy

If you had acted sooner, before there were late payments, you might have been able to get a cosigner release on the loan. These releases are generally dependent on a showing of ontime payments and a satisfactory credit check. Although you can always inquire about a release from the lender, it does not appear you will get one.

Another option is to pay off the loan. It is not a great option but it eliminates the problem.

The only other option I see is for you to convince your abusive ex-boyfriend to refinance the car - and hope that there is a lender willing to refinance (which is unlikely based on what you have said).

Cosigning a loan is rarely smart. You are discovering why. I guess the good news is that the fellow is no longer your boyfriend.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">