• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I committed credit card fraud while under the influence, 1st offense.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Iamembarrassed

I am 26 and currently in Pennsylvania.

Friday night I took a large amount of a narcotic called xanax. I do not remember doing any of this, but I was at a friends house and ended up stealing and leaving with his wallet. Inside of his wallet must have been a credit card that I took and made purchases totaling $1100 at 2 big box retailers near my home.

The following morning I woke up sitting against my wall and was surprised to see a bunch of expensive electronics in my room, my friends credit card cut in half on the table. I put 2 and 2 together and realized that I must have stolen the credit card and make the purchases. Using my iphones location services I was able to determine where I had been in the past 24 hours, so I immediately went to the locations and tried to return the items. Since I had cut the credit card and had no receipts, and the places were unable to refund the money onto the card.

At this point I panicked and called my friend saying that I knew who took his wallet, that they had come to me to try and enlist my help in returning the goods but we were unable to. I said that I had all the items and that they could still be returned, but only by him. I made a statement to the police saying exactly that, after my friend told me that they would be calling me for info. I shouldn't have talked to the police at all, but I was in such disbelief and panic I was not thinking properly.

The police I made the statement to are university police. They are REAL police not campus police, IE they have the ability to arrest and charge people (I think, i dont really understand the legal system). My friend told the police he has ZERO interest in pressing charges, that he just wanted his wallet back. His credit card company has already refunded his money and taken the charges away.

I have never been involved in any trouble like this before in my life. I have not been arrested ever, nothing. I do not know what is going to happen, I would like some advice on what to do. I spoke with a friends mother who is a Judge, she said that there is a good chance they will drop the investigation because the victim (a kid who once would have called me a friend) does not wish to press charges.

I understand the severity of what I did. I am ashamed and in disbelief because as a shy, timid person this is not something I would ever have the balls to do. I have an issue with drugs/alcohol. In fact, before friday I have been sober from alcohol and prescription pills for 3.5 years. Please help me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">