• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I disagree with this form I received from my landlord. I think it should be the landlord's responsiblity not the tenant's responsibilty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmy

What is the name of your state? California
MINIMUM Move-Out Cleaning Standards
To possibly avoid cleaning charges, the residence must meet our cleaning standards and be left in 'rent-ready' condition. The cleaning checklist is provided only as a guideline and does not guarantee move-out charges will be removed. If the residence must be cleaned or re-cleaned, charges will be assessed accordingly.

polish all chrome, faucet & light fixtures
wipe light fixtures
clean drains
polish medicine cabinet
clean baseboards, moldings
clean all fans, fixtures & light fixtures
clean all screens, window/door tracks & sills
clean all windows, inside & out, including tracks
clean all blinds
clean heater/air conditioning vents
clean ceiling fans, blades & motor
de-web entire apartment, patio, garage
clean all door tracks-patio, closet, windows

Pls. let me know what you think and advise

Just Blue

To possibly avoid cleaning charges, the residence must meet our cleaning standards and be left in 'rent-ready' condition. The cleaning checklist is provided only as a guideline and does not guarantee move-out charges will be removed. If the residence must be cleaned or re-cleaned, charges will be assessed accordingly.

wipe light fixtures
clean drains
polish medicine cabinet
clean all blinds

I, personally, don't see anything that is overtly unreasonable. Depending on what floor you live on the cleaning of the outside of the windows may be unreasonable. Most of the ^ is standard household cleaning that you should be doing on a weekly/biweekly bases anyway.

FYI: I am a renter not a LL.

LdiJ

wipe light fixtures
clean drains
polish medicine cabinet
clean all blinds

Was the place that clean when you moved in? If so, it should be that clean when you move out.

FarmerJ

You should have pictures of how clean you leave every thing and that even inc pictures of the inside of fridge, oven toilet bowl , shower , in cabinets and insides of drawers , walls , etc etc etc , this way if you have to challenge the LL in a court for your deposit funds you can show a court that you did leave it clean .

LdiJ

What do you find so objectionable? This seems VERY reasonable to me.
It only seems reasonable to me if the apartment was that clean when the OP moved in. I agree that it should have been that clean, but its questionable as to whether it actually was.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It only seems reasonable to me if the apartment was that clean when the OP moved in. I agree that it should have been that clean, but its questionable as to whether it actually was.
I don't disagree, however, if this list was presented to the OP as part of the lease upon move-in, then the condition of the apartment upon move-in is irrelevant because the OP agreed to the conditions.

xylene

The only one I find unreasonable is the blinds.

Blinds can be dusted, but cleaning requires a professional.

A tenant would need to have agrees in the lease to pay for move out blind cleaning. UNLESS of course the blinds are unusually dirty and the dirtiness is demonstrably the tenan's fault.

Reactions: lmy

FarmerJ

When I was growing up my mom took our venetians down regularly and put them in our bath tub full of soapy water and took a brush to them and cleaned them then one by one hung them over the shower rod to dry well enough to be put back into the brackets. BUT in short there are some LLs who will re clean a few things because they might want it to be their idea of clean before they use it , does that mean they might charge for that , hard to say. BUT if you do a reasonable job cleaning and take pictures to show that you did a decent job it is not likely a judge would reward a LLs claim that you didn't leave it clean or that they had to charge you to re clean. If you don't want to clean it then you know what the consequence would be and don't.( but do know if cleaning cost exceed your deposit funds the LL can sue you for that difference and many LLs do also take pics too of a places condition before they clean it up and after too.

LdiJ

I don't disagree, however, if this list was presented to the OP as part of the lease upon move-in, then the condition of the apartment upon move-in is irrelevant because the OP agreed to the conditions.
Valid point

Just Blue

Wait... Farmer - is the oven in the toilet bowl or the toilet bowl in the oven?
Look! Over the post...Is it a bird? A plane? NO!! It's Punctuation Woman!!!! Able to discern a poorly punctuated post with one glance!!

There's no need to fear...Punctuation Woman is here!!!!

(cue in cheers from millions of cyber people everywhere....)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">