• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I don't believe this BS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nyc22sxf

I live in NYC, on Nov. 1997 I leased an Apartment for me and my girlfriend it was a one year lease that ended on nov 1998. I lived there for a year and a half then in June of 1999. Me and my girlfriend broke up and one of us had to move so knowing that she had no where to go I moved out. In July of 1999 I called the Management team of the property and explained to them that I did not live there no more and that my girlfriend lived there now. They told me that, that was fine and that they would send someone over there to have her fill out a new lease. Now 1 year and half later I recieved a notice that states that I owe rent for 5 months. but I have not lived there for 1 year and a half. Can I be held responsible for them not giving her a lease, Even though my lease has been over for 2 years?

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

You can't just move out without written notification. You have not properly terminated your tenancy.

N

nyc22sxf

Thanks for the Info. So where do I go from here do I we go to Court or try to settle out of court?

[Edited by nyc22sxf on 12-11-2000 at 04:21 AM]

W

Wgoodrich

Not an attorney but am a landlord.

I wonder, do you have a witness of the verbal temination to the management concerning your moving out and of your not living there. You said that your lease had expired a year or more before you moved out. I would think that you were then living on a month to month basis from the end of your lease until you moved out. If the utilities were changed out of your name, and if you had a witness to your verbal notification, and if you can prove you have been living somewhere else for the time period you said, such as utility bills paid, post office address, then you should have some grounds to your feelings of not being responsible. I think that I would stand my ground, round up all the evidence that I can get my hands on of verifying the notification and proof of living elsewhere, etc. and make a stand as a defendant. Let them make you pay. I have a hard time seeing a judge hold you liable a year and a half after you have been gone. You might consider bringing in the ex girlfriend as a witness and obtaining her cancelled checks as to where she paid the rent and your cancelled checks as to where you paid rent elsewhere. See where it goes. I suspect this case to be weak in my mind.

Wg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">