• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I don’t feel safe, abusive brother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aussie89

I would like to first point out I am only 19 years old and I live in Australia, if someone could forward me to an Australian site similar to this that would be just as helpful as answering.

My brother is 23 years old and still lives with my parents and I. He has violent outbursts and I don’t feel safe in the house and around him, nor have I ever. He has hit my parents on multiple occasions, beaten my father even splitting his head open, once even threw a knife at my head.
He has even convinced my grandmother that he’s in debt and has started taking her pensions she acquired legally. I’m to scared to tell her and I think my parents are too.
We are a poor family and every time the subject of him getting a job or moving out is brought up he threatens my parents with suicide and murdering them by burning down the house. I believe he truly would murder us and burn down the house if he were kicked out.
I’m scared and I’m not sure who to contact... if I call authorities he won’t be put away for long and I’m sure he will comeback.
Is there any way I could legally get him into a mental institution or something where I can feel safe at home and my parents. This is truly horrifying me and I think his outbursts are getting worse.
Please could use any advice - thank you.

quincy

I would like to first point out I am only 19 years old and I live in Australia, if someone could forward me to an Australian site similar to this that would be just as helpful as answering.

My brother is 23 years old and still lives with my parents and I. He has violent outbursts and I don’t feel safe in the house and around him, nor have I ever. He has hit my parents on multiple occasions, beaten my father even splitting his head open, once even threw a knife at my head.
He has even convinced my grandmother that he’s in debt and has started taking her pensions she acquired legally. I’m to scared to tell her and I think my parents are too.
We are a poor family and every time the subject of him getting a job or moving out is brought up he threatens my parents with suicide and murdering them by burning down the house. I believe he truly would murder us and burn down the house if he were kicked out.
I’m scared and I’m not sure who to contact... if I call authorities he won’t be put away for long and I’m sure he will comeback.
Is there any way I could legally get him into a mental institution or something where I can feel safe at home and my parents. This is truly horrifying me and I think his outbursts are getting worse.
Please could use any advice - thank you.
If you type "Australian legal forums" into your search bar, several sites are listed. You can try one or all.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">