• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I don't want to live with either of my parents.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

troubledgirl

I am 15 years old but I don't want to live with either of my parents. It's not that they are bad parents, it's just that I can't stand living with my mom anymore. She always finds something to fight with me about and I practically do everything around the house. We are also about to HAVE to move and the only place we have to go is Houston (with my dad) but I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE. It would be depressing to live with my dad anyways because he has h.i.v. and he freaks out everytime i say anything about a boy. I don't know what to do. Is there anyway that I can refuse to go without being considered a runaway, or is there any way I can get adopted by someone else without my parents permission??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

H

hexeliebe

I don't know what to do. Is there anyway that I can refuse to go without being considered a runaway, or is there any way I can get adopted by someone else without my parents permission???
Of course you can refuse to go and you won't be considered a runaway. It's called Juvenille Detention and they have a room waiting for you.

Listen girl, millions of kids go through the same or even worse situations than you and survive. At 15 you are not legally old enough to make the decision.

You either move or end up on the street where people even worse than papa would love to 'take you in'.

Beth3

I doubt there are or were any 15 year olds (including myself) who didn't think their parents weren't the most horrible parents on earth. troubledgirl, it just goes with the territory at that age.

No, you can't refuse to go and no, you can't get yourself adopted by someone else without your parent's permission. In three years, you can move out, go where you want to, start supporting yourself entirely and you'll find it's a much tougher job than you think. In the meantime, you've got no choice but to go with the flow. Your parents may be making choices you're not happy with but you're being clothed, fed, educated, housed, and cared for right? You have it better than a lot of other kids your age.

Dandy Don

Call your local welfare/Social Services department and ask to make an appointment with or speak to a social worker who can advise you of your rights--you might be able to find the listing in the yellow pages of the phone book. If your living situation is bad enough to cause you stress/distress it might be possible for you to be placed temporarily in a foster care home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">