• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I fear my landlord will claim I wrecked the apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wesley

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

When I moved into the apartment where I am now living the rug was in horrible condition and the apartment as a whole was obviously used but still livable(if you can call a worn out dirty rug livable). But now I am moving out and I am afraid that the landlord is going to claim that I wrecked the place and try to get money out of me. The reason I think that could happen is because new owners took over the apartment and they live in a city hundreds of miles away and they are a corporation so probably own many apartment buildings. I'm just a number to them. What do you think?

MIRAKALES

The professional way to manage the issues is to advise the current owner and landlord of the property conditions prior to move-in. This will alert them of the status of the premises prior to tenant walk-thru and before their final inspection for refurbishishing. Tenant should send move-out notice in accordance with the lease agreement and, simultaneously, include the details of the property condition. Request confirmation and feedback.
It is best to be forthright because management probably has photographs (including videotape) of the unit on file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">