• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I fell down at my buddy's house. Own fault.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

china_buffet

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Michigan
I was visiting my friend at his house we had a couple of beers and we were wrestling around (just friendly). I fell hard and seperated my shoulders...ouch! Had to go to the hospital and now I don't know what might happen if I can't work for a while. What coverage would I claim this on if any??? We were both responsible. It was just a stupid accident. I have health insurance through work, not sure about any loss of work for off-site injuries. Does my own homeowners cover me for stupid accidents? Does his homeowners cover it if Iam to blaim also?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The health insurance that you have through work will cover it. That is NOT for work related issues - those get paid through workers comp.

C

china_buffet

I know that my health insurance will cover my medical expenses, just not sure about time off from work. Looks like anywhere from one to eigth weeks off depending on whether or not I have to have surgery. If I don't have short term disabitlity insurance is there any other way to claim for the loss of income? I will be sunk if I don't have some kind of income for eight weeks!
Thanks for your time and wisdom!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You health insurance will not cover lost income. If your employer has short term disability insurance, that should give you a portion of your income during your recovery. However, Michigan does not require that an employer offer short term disability and does not have a state disability plan. (Only five states do.) You need to find out if your employer offers short term disability. I have no experience with homeowner's insurance but I will be very surprised if your friend's homeowner's policy will provide you with income replacement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">