• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I filed a complaint with CA Dept of Insurance against my Health Insurance and won. They were forced to pay me back. Can I sue for lost time (70+hrs)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dtryan

California is the state this happened in. Basically Healthnet made a mistake on their billing side and it led to me being sent to collections and fighting off collections. My credit score did not go down luckily but I spent over 70 hours on the phone with both Healthnet and collections fighting this claim that they denied was their fault. The CA board of insurance made them pay and in the end, I got a letter from healthnet admitting it was their fault and they will pay up. Can I sue for my 70 plus hours due to their mistake though?

quincy

California is the state this happened in. Basically Healthnet made a mistake on their billing side and it led to me being sent to collections and fighting off collections. My credit score did not go down luckily but I spent over 70 hours on the phone with both Healthnet and collections fighting this claim that they denied was their fault. The CA board of insurance made them pay and in the end, I got a letter from healthnet admitting it was their fault and they will pay up. Can I sue for my 70 plus hours due to their mistake though?
No. Sorry.

quincy

I think I posted this under the wrong forum, but can you please explain why I do not have a case? Thanks
Your time is not compensable.

The placement of your thread here is okay. There is no need to start another thread. Your duplicate will be removed.

dtryan

Your time is not compensable.

The placement of your thread here is okay. There is no need to start another thread. Your duplicate will be removed.
Thank you Quincy. One last serious question since I am upset with my time invested: Is there a chance since they are a big corporation I can take them to small claims and get a payout since it might not be worth it for them to fight it?

quincy

Thank you Quincy. One last serious question since I am upset with my time invested: Is there a chance since they are a big corporation I can take them to small claims and get a payout since it might not be worth it for them to fight it?
That stands to be additional time wasted and you could find yourself responsible for the company's attorney and court costs.

I think you need to be content that the problem was resolved as quickly as it was - even though I am sure it did not seem fast enough for you. :)

dtryan

That stands to be additional time wasted and you could find yourself responsible for the company's attorney and court costs.

I think you need to be content that the problem was resolved as quickly as it was - even though I am sure it did not seem fast enough for you. :)
Haha it was around 7 months for me fighting it and over 70 hours invested for me to finally get paid back. So not that quick

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Even if the other side doesn't show up, you still have to show that you have a legal basis for which to be paid. You have no legal basis on which to be paid, so the judge won't award you anything.

quincy

Even if the other side doesn't show up, you still have to show that you have a legal basis for which to be paid. You have no legal basis on which to be paid, so the judge won't award you anything.
A suit to recover costs for time spent on correcting the mistake would simply be uncompensable time spent with the additional risk of having to pay the other party.

Not a great idea. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">