• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I forgot anf took wrong turn from 47c Detroit's Michigan to Canada's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alwani

Michigan.
Yesterday i got in tragedy where instead of going to USA from 47c I took wrong turn and went to Canada without any documents.i was with my wife having only driving license and also non us citizen. The petrol officer stop me and said how could I not have doc, well I forgot of course at home but I think anybody can be this situation, I was told for a while being ask many questions, finally he said I can go from duty free. I was in impression that I can go back from there to Michigan, but officer is guide me, then tole guy just for the sake of $5 said yes the bridge going to Michigan. I know I am not us citizen, but am I not human being treated like that. The I drove to ambassador bridge and then never realize was in Canada, the custom officer told me that I can be guided and return from there, but I feel us officer, tole guy was not helpful that much , who were retuned me from other way. Anyhow spend more than 3 hrs to finalize everything and back to my home.

I just have one request can the USA people police be as nice as Canadian? Everyone can do mistakes so I did. I say the whole issue is that google map misguided me wrong direction, I know I was also in mistake took that wrong turn. I said I am very positive person though custom of Usa really listen my problem and let me in.

My question is was there way yo return from the point may be 100 meter I was inside the Canada , usa make return path for innocent like me. I like this country for one reason that it is peace here, and wanted to see people of Michigan little helpful, I know they do this for our security, but after 47c cut there is no return, is there really way to return back instead of passing bridge? And officer at USA not gave me that direction, any thought would be appreciated. This may help others who by mistake that that way.

justalayman

Presuming English is not your native language and due to that your writing is difficult to folllow.

The USA has no authority to do anything within Canada. If there is such a turn around as you wish, while the US could request it, it would be up to Canada to decide whether it is built.

It isn’t clear to me but are you saying you were alllwed to enter Canada without proper documentation but when attempting to return you were scrutinized beyond what you believe is proper?

Btw: whether it was 100 yards or 100 miles, the border is immeasurably thin and you are in a different country, with different laws, once you crosss that line..Then when attempting to come US, obviously the US agents have a right to require you have the proper documents to be able prove your eligibility to enter the US.

Many people simply do not give due respect to the fact you are traveling between two different countries when going to and from Canada. Just because the two countries are on very friendly terms doesn’t mean any border crossing deserves less scrutiny than s person coming from across the ocean.

xylene

This happens at Lewiston. The sad fact is these bridges are built as limitied access highways, funneling traffic to the boarder. The assumption when these were built was a laegely open transit regime. The traffic patterns on them would not be how they would do it in a post 9/11 world with strict controls. It's a problem and there are no funds to fix it.

Alwani

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinion. Actually I have no intent to go Canada it happened by mistake. Anyhow last not least both countries help me resolving my issue. though it was little pain taking, but I can say if I did mistake I will pay for that...
Just wanted to knew that I went through bridge but why Canada official told me that "if that officer wanted you back, he may return you from there" and as I was not aware about way out, wanted to know was there really way out if you? but it is now clear by your answer.

Alwani

I already pulled over and after a long talk law officer divert me to bridge. The actual issue started that Tole person also give me wrong statement that that way is going out to Michigan whereas it was not? I deliberately went through Ambassador Bridge? As that was only way I saw go out becuase law officer told me to go from DUTY FREE and then went through all cycle of custom, immigration and again US custom and bridge...

justalayman

I’ve never been across the ambassador bridge but when looking at it on Google Earth, it does look quite confusing. Couple that with dealing with the international issue I can see it being overwhelming. It seems things worked out ok in the end which is the best one can ask for.

Alwani

If you make a mistake like this again, pull over. It's better to deal with the cops who can help you U turn and maybe be towed than risk your status.
So I would say that Cope would have help me to take U turn which not happened, he knew I did not have any documents and instead of help me he just put me in more bad condition. I would say I am believer of GOD , my 3 kids were at home waiting for us. So GOD help us and we are safely at home. But I learn the lesson of my life.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are lucky you weren't arrested as the jogger who inadvertently jogged down the beach was. Should we guess that you and your wife are white or another light complexion?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My grandparents' houses were closer to the tunnel. One set on the US side and one set on the Canadian side. Or at least, that seemed to be how my dad felt - he was the driver. In a lifetime of going back and forth between Windsor and Detroit, I could probably count the number of times I've taken the Ambassador Bridge on my fingers, and have some left over.

quincy

My grandparents' houses were closer to the tunnel. One set on the US side and one set on the Canadian side. Or at least, that seemed to be how my dad felt - he was the driver. In a lifetime of going back and forth between Windsor and Detroit, I could probably count the number of times I've taken the Ambassador Bridge on my fingers, and have some left over.
I have only taken the tunnel a few times. I am always a bit disturbed by the areas of wet pavement. :)

The car ferry (Marine City to Sombra) is a nice way to cross - if you are close to Marine City (which I'm not).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">