• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I forgot to call police at scene of hit and run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xremx95

New York

I was just in a hit and run on the highway today that involved myself and a motorcycle. The motorcycle sideswiped me while I was changing lanes. Neither of us lost control of our vehicles. Immediately after this occurred, the motorcyclist sped off at speeds well above the posted limit. I was so freaked out that I just completely forgot to immediately pull over and call the police about it. I don’t know what to do or how badly I messed up by not calling the police right away.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What about damage to your car? Are you filing a claim with your insurance company?

How long ago is "just"?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
New York

I was just in a hit and run on the highway today that involved myself and a motorcycle. The motorcycle sideswiped me while I was changing lanes. Neither of us lost control of our vehicles. Immediately after this occurred, the motorcyclist sped off at speeds well above the posted limit. I was so freaked out that I just completely forgot to immediately pull over and call the police about it. I don’t know what to do or how badly I messed up by not calling the police right away.
If NY law requires you to report this accident (and I have not checked) then report it now. With this kind of situation, the phrase "better late than never" is the one that leaps to my mind.

FlyingRon

In New York, there's no duty to get the police involved except when there is an injury or death. You were supposed to exchange information with the other driver, but since he fled, I doubt you will be responsible for failing to do that.

If the combined damage (we'll say to your car since the other guy fled) is over $1000, then you're required to report to the DMV (https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv104.pdf). within ten days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">