• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got charged for a felony level criminal threat but then i got released becsuse it was a "dry run" what does that mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jimyjon217

California. Ventura County.

I was arrested for criminal threats felony level and stayed in jail for 3 days. My court date was scheduled yesterday but they said it was a "dry run" so I got released. Will they charge me still? And what does a dry run mean because there wasnt even a DA or public defender assigned I believe?

Just Blue

I was arrested for criminal threats felony level and stayed in jail for 3 days. My court date was scheduled yesterday but they said it was a "dry run" so I got released. Will they charge me still? And what does a dry run mean because there wasnt even a DA or public defender assigned I believe?
Apparently it means that you were taken to court by accident...at least that is what Google told me:

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+does+dry+run+mean+in+callifornia+criminal+proceedings&rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS863US868&oq=what+does+dry+run+mean+in+callifornia+criminal+proceedings&aqs=chrome..69i57.22900j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I will tag @CdwJava who is a California police officer and perhaps he will assist you if he can.

quincy

You can still be charged. You were arrested for criminal threats but apparently the prosecutor has not filed charges yet.

quincy

Yeah that's what I thought. Is it likely due to covid or is it common for this to happen
It could be due to Covid-19, or possibly due to the protests. It is probably less likely for someone to be released without charges on a felony arrest - but I can’t tell you how common or uncommon it is.

If you have the means to hire an attorney, it would be smart for you to hire one now, or at least consult with one now.

zddoodah

Will they charge me still?
We have no way of knowing whether the (assistant) district attorney will or won't charge you for an alleged crime about which we know absolutely nothing.

And what does a dry run mean because there wasnt even a DA or public defender assigned I believe?
We have no way of knowing because you didn't tell us anything about what happened. Have you considered calling the public defender's office to discuss?

quincy

We have no way of knowing whether the (assistant) district attorney will or won't charge you for an alleged crime about which we know absolutely nothing.

We have no way of knowing because you didn't tell us anything about what happened. Have you considered calling the public defender's office to discuss?
Some of us know what a dry run is. ;)

While calling the public defenders office is a suggestion to consider, with no charges filed, it is doubtful the office can be of much help.

LdiJ

Some of us know what a dry run is. ;)

While calling the public defenders office is a suggestion to consider, with no charges filed, it is doubtful the office can be of much help.
It appears to be used in two distinctly different circumstances by law enforcement. If you google "how is the term "dry run" used be law enforcement?" you can read up on both circumstances.

quincy

It appears to be used in two distinctly different circumstances by law enforcement. If you google "how is the term "dry run" used be law enforcement?" you can read up on both circumstances.
In this described situation, JimyJon was arrested. He needed to be arraigned. A dry run in that situation would mean that the prosecutor had not yet filed charges. JimyJon cannot be held in jail if he has not been charged so he had to be released.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">