• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got married on a K1 and my wife left the USA before adv parole. What are the steps needed to file for divorce properly?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

metaler1

California

We got married on May 27 2017 and my wife left the USA on Aug 25 2017. She left before she received advanced parole and once she got on the plane back to Indonesia our petition was essentially forfeited. I also took the necessary steps to cancel it with the necessary gov agencies.

That said we want to file for divorce. She has no means financially or otherwise or intentions to return to the USA. Furthermore given her lower income status and lack of property assets in Indonesia her means and likelihood of obtaining a tourist visa or any other US visa is almost impossible.

Given that she is not in the USA and cannot return to the USA what are the necessary steps to divorce someone who CANNOT:

1. Represent themselves or hire an attorney nor afford it.
2. Cannot return to the USA

Note: We have no joint assets - No joint checking, No real or personal property, no children. No assets at all shared between us.

LdiJ

California

We got married on May 27 2017 and my wife left the USA on Aug 25 2017. She left before she received advanced parole and once she got on the plane back to Indonesia our petition was essentially forfeited. I also took the necessary steps to cancel it with the necessary gov agencies.

That said we want to file for divorce. She has no means financially or otherwise or intentions to return to the USA. Furthermore given her lower income status and lack of property assets in Indonesia her means and likelihood of obtaining a tourist visa or any other US visa is almost impossible.

Given that she is not in the USA and cannot return to the USA what are the necessary steps to divorce someone who CANNOT:

1. Represent themselves or hire an attorney nor afford it.
2. Cannot return to the USA

Note: We have no joint assets - No joint checking, No real or personal property, no children. No assets at all shared between us.
It is possible to get a divorce whether she cooperates with that process or not. It would work better and smoother if you hire an attorney to handle it.

metaler1

It is possible to get a divorce whether she cooperates with that process or not. It would work better and smoother if you hire an attorney to handle it.
Actually Im looking to handle this on my own. I know how to file for divorce but are there unique steps to serve someone who is not in the USA?

LdiJ

Actually Im looking to handle this on my own. I know how to file for divorce but are there unique steps to serve someone who is not in the USA?
Do you want to get divorced and have it done and over with, or do you want to spend years trying to figure out how to move things along yourself? This is not a simple divorce because your ex is overseas.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do either of you have separate assets that are worth more than $41,000? If so, then you cannot do a summary dissolution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">