• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I had a Stroke

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ama1001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was admitted to ER at Peninsula Hospital in Burlingame in March 2014 due to high blood pressure episode. I was given Toradol iv injection (a pain medication) although there is a warning not to give it to patients with high blood pressure as it may cause stroke. I was not told about the injection or the possibility of stroke and I had a stroke 24 hours later as I was told at Stanford Univ Hospital. I lost peripheral vision and I have difficulty to concentrate which is affecting my job. I believe I got the wrong treatment at the first hospital and I was given medication without my knowledge and without a need for my case which resulted in my stroke.

justalayman

I found where torodal increases the risk of a stroke

I saw where it's use in patients with hypertension are cautioned to watch for certain issues (although a stroke was not in that list)

I saw nothing stating it was contraindicated in patients with high blood pressure (which is different than hypertension )

Do you have a source to support your statement by chance?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I found where torodal increases the risk of a stroke

I saw where it's use in patients with hypertension are cautioned to watch for certain issues (although a stroke was not in that list)

I saw nothing stating it was contraindicated in patients with high blood pressure (which is different than hypertension )

Do you have a source to support your statement by chance?
The Mayo Clinic would beg to differ:
High blood pressure is a common condition in which the force of the blood against your artery walls is high enough that it may eventually cause health problems, such as heart disease.

Blood pressure is determined by the amount of blood your heart pumps and the amount of resistance to blood flow in your arteries. The more blood your heart pumps and the narrower your arteries, the higher your blood pressure.

You can have high blood pressure (hypertension) for years without any symptoms. Even without symptoms, damage to blood vessels and your heart continues and can be detected. Uncontrolled high blood pressure increases your risk of serious health problems, including heart attack and stroke.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/basics/definition/con-20019580

justalayman

Hypertension is a chronic condition

High blood pressure is a determination made by taking a blood pressure reading. I can have high blood pressure as a result of getting angry. I will not have hypertension due to an episode of anger.

Give the op presented to the Er for some medical emergency, it would not be unusual they displayed high blood pressure at the moment. That does not mean they have hypertension

I'mTheFather

http://www.rxlist.com/toradol-drug/warnings-precautions.htm#W

Cardiovascular Effects

Cardiovascular Thrombotic Events

Clinical trials of several COX-2 selective and nonselective NSAIDs of up to three years duration have shown an increased risk of serious cardiovascular (CV) thrombotic events, myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal. All NSAIDs, both COX-2 selective and nonselective, may have a similar risk. Patients with known CV disease or risk factors for CV disease may be at greater risk. To minimize the potential risk for an adverse CV event in patients treated with an NSAID, the lowest effective dose should be used for the shortest duration possible. Physicians and patients should remain alert for the development of such events, even in the absence of previous CV symptoms. Patients should be informed about the signs and/or symptoms of serious CV events and the steps to take if they occur.

There is no consistent evidence that concurrent use of aspirin mitigates the increased risk of serious CV thrombotic events associated with NSAID use. The concurrent use of aspirin and an NSAID does increase the risk of serious GI events (see Gastrointestinal Effects - Risk of Ulceration, Bleeding, and Perforation). Two large, controlled clinical trials of a COX-2 selective NSAID for the treatment of pain in the first 10-14 days following CABG surgery found an increased incidence of myocardial infarction and stroke (see CONTRAINDICATIONS).

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was admitted to ER at Peninsula Hospital in Burlingame in March 2014 due to high blood pressure episode. I was given Toradol iv injection (a pain medication) although there is a warning not to give it to patients with high blood pressure as it may cause stroke. I was not told about the injection or the possibility of stroke and I had a stroke 24 hours later as I was told at Stanford Univ Hospital. I lost peripheral vision and I have difficulty to concentrate which is affecting my job. I believe I got the wrong treatment at the first hospital and I was given medication without my knowledge and without a need for my case which resulted in my stroke.

Was this a hemorrhagic stroke, or ischemic ?

Dave1952

Sorry to hear of your illnesses. There are lawyers who specialize in medical malpractice. Often they offer a free initial consult. Look in the phone book of the County where the hospital is located. Call a few. If you use a lawyer for family or business ask that lawyer who he recommends. Such cases are frequently handled by a contingency fee system. hat means that the lawyer works for free and takes a large chunk of any winnings. Be sure that you read and understand the contingency agreement since you may be expected to pay for various court fees.

ecmst12

JAL - in general useage, by lay people as well as medical personnel in many cases, the terms "high blood pressure" and "hypertension" are used interchangeably. If you hear someone say "I have high blood pressure", in most contexts it's safe to assume they do not mean "my blood pressure reading right now at this moment is high", they mean they have been diagnosed with hypertension. Similarly, if your doctor says to you "You have high blood pressure", it's an even safer assumption that they do not mean "your blood pressure at this moment is high", (in which case they would actually say, "your blood pressure is high right now, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have hypertension") they mean you have hypertension.

Pro - 99.9% chance the stroke was ischemic, since OP lived to write this post. You probably know that, but others might not :)

It's very unlikely that this is a malpractice situation, since there is not an absolute contraindication, and it might even have been below the standard of care to NOT give the medication in this case. In addition, a high blood pressure episode severe enough to require hospitalization is ALREADY a huge risk factor for stroke (in fact that is the whole reason you need to be hospitalized for severe high blood pressure), far more than any tiny increase in risk from being given that medication. So there is no way anyone would be able to tell you that you definitely (or even more likely than not) would not have had the stroke if you hadn't been given the medication.

However, you are always free to contact an attorney for a consult.

justalayman

I understand your point but

There is a difference
That difference can make a difference in this situstion
Op has had the opportunity to clarify but hasnt yet

But more to the point;

The med involved is not contraindicated even in cases involving hypertension but there is a special caution.

To the explanation of high blood pressure and hypertension; if this were not an er situation I would totally agree with but since we are talking of an er visit, I do not believe the usage as described outside the er is appropriate to infer the same usage in the er situation.

So given the huge lack of info so far, in itself it does not suggest there is malpractice due to the reasons op posted although a complete review may show something totally different.

Last edited:

lkc15507

Opinion on poster's question

With the information given it is impossible to tell if the administration of IV toradol is below standard of care (SOC) in this case. Whether this admission was due to an acute hypertensive state or a chronic hypertensive state is unknown. It is possible that pain as a cause or significant contributor to the hypertension (HTN) may have warranted the IV admin of a pain med in order to bring down the BP. But, I believe there could have been much better choices than toradol. There is any number of pain meds that would have both a direct and indirect effect on lowering BP. The post does not give enough information to glean the indication for the admin of toradol. HBP alone does not indicate a need for toradol.

Whether or not an absolute contraindication to toradol in HBP exists (it doesn't) the usage in the poster’s situation could be below SOC for someone in a hypertensive state. With no more information than in the post, I think toradol is an iffy choice. Then again, even if below SOC in the poster's situation, demonstrating that administering Toredol caused or contributed to the stroke would be difficult. But, having someone review the medical record and subsequent events couldn't hurt.

God Bless

lkc15507

Another soap-box moment...

Not all hypertension (HTN) is chronic. The common use of the term "hypertension" for the chronic form actually refers to Essential or Primary HTN. This type has no single definitive cause. Elevated BP due to anger is not "High Blood Pressure" (HBP) or "HTN" unless it exceeds the same accepted medical standards established for diagnosis HBP/HTN. If a person who is usually normotensive experiences a rise in BP under stress, this is not described nor diagnosed as HBP. If BP is elevated due to situation / stress and did exceed diagnostic levels, it would most correctly be termed episodic HTN or episodic HBP. The difference between using the terms HBP and HTN is not how long someone has it, but in the proper understanding of the use of the terms with other descriptors. The two terms are synonymous for professional healthcare purposes and both require qualification in order to properly diagnose or describe; no matter where the event occurs or where it is being discussed.

A minute physiological difference does exist. HTN describes the state of the body’s vasculature when vessel walls are stretched (tension) beyond what blood they can normally accommodate. This is due either to increased volume of blood being pumped (increased heart rate or volume of fluid) or decreased ability of the vessel walls to stretch (or a combination of both conditions). Either state results in increased pressure within the vessels. HBP and HTN do not exist independently because it takes both volume and stretch to create pressure. Since only pressure can be measured (at least practically) hypertensive states are expressed in terms of BP measurement. So, yes, a person in ER with HBP has HTN while the state exists—even if it had never occurred previously and / or resolves completely with treatment or spontaneously. The notion that HTN is chronic and HBP is episodic is just not true. Stating “he has HTN” or “she has HBP" are diagnostic statements. Stating “his BP is high right now” or "she is hypertensive" are descriptive statements of a condition or symptom that needs further investigation. There's a big difference. That difference has everything to do with understanding the terminology in the context of what is happening with a patient and nothing to with the minute pathophysiological difference between the measurement they each describe.

justalayman

so, since California has a 1 year statute of limitations on medical malpractice, I suggest the OP start checking out some lawyers if they are considering filing suit.

Proserpina

Not all hypertension (HTN) is chronic. The common use of the term "hypertension" for the chronic form actually refers to Essential or Primary HTN. This type has no single definitive cause. Elevated BP due to anger is not "High Blood Pressure" (HBP) or "HTN" unless it exceeds the same accepted medical standards established for diagnosis HBP/HTN. If a person who is usually normotensive experiences a rise in BP under stress, this is not described nor diagnosed as HBP. If BP is elevated due to situation / stress and did exceed diagnostic levels, it would most correctly be termed episodic HTN or episodic HBP. The difference between using the terms HBP and HTN is not how long someone has it, but in the proper understanding of the use of the terms with other descriptors. The two terms are synonymous for professional healthcare purposes and both require qualification in order to properly diagnose or describe; no matter where the event occurs or where it is being discussed.

A minute physiological difference does exist. HTN describes the state of the body’s vasculature when vessel walls are stretched (tension) beyond what blood they can normally accommodate. This is due either to increased volume of blood being pumped (increased heart rate or volume of fluid) or decreased ability of the vessel walls to stretch (or a combination of both conditions). Either state results in increased pressure within the vessels. HBP and HTN do not exist independently because it takes both volume and stretch to create pressure. Since only pressure can be measured (at least practically) hypertensive states are expressed in terms of BP measurement. So, yes, a person in ER with HBP has HTN while the state exists—even if it had never occurred previously and / or resolves completely with treatment or spontaneously. The notion that HTN is chronic and HBP is episodic is just not true. Stating “he has HTN” or “she has HBP" are diagnostic statements. Stating “his BP is high right now” or "she is hypertensive" are descriptive statements of a condition or symptom that needs further investigation. There's a big difference. That difference has everything to do with understanding the terminology in the context of what is happening with a patient and nothing to with the minute pathophysiological difference between the measurement they each describe.

Gosh. There are a few sources who basically use your description word-for-word.

You may want to check on that.

:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">