• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have 3 issues with my landlord. Is he violating any laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I believe he only unscrewed all the outside lights to the house.

Which leads one to ask..how many tenants does it take to screw IN a lightbulb???

Gail
I took it to mean that he disabled the fixtures. However, even if he did just remove the bulbs, if they were to replace them and use the lights, then I am sure he would just remove them again.

FarmerJ

the beagle Spots said she would be happy To find someone to re install new bulbs as long as she gets people food in her bowl instead of her regular dog food.

Gail in Georgia

https://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cost.html is an interesting site that allows one to plug in (no pun intended) various items to determine electrical cost.
Cost of running a regular 60 watt light bulb 24/7 at 13 cents per kilowatt hour would result in an average monthly bill of $7.20 per bulb. Change that out to a CFL bulb and the cost drops to 2.14 per month. Remember this is leaving the bulb on 24 hours a day.
I don't mention LED lightbulbs because their initial expense may be too much for this landlord.

Gail

LdiJ

Well, he "says" he does not live here, but he has a "room" in the basement where he spends the night several nights a week, and he is at this house every day.
Do each of you just rent a room in the home with common areas rights or are you all on the lease together as renting the home from him?

To answer your question; no, the landlord is not violating any laws (there is no shower rod law in Maryland).

1. How about looking on line for a light sensor you can purchase and screw into one of outside lights since this issue appears to involve you. They are not very expensive. If not, the suggestions for a flashlight are also very good.

2. Same as above. Inexpensive shower rods can be purchased at Walmart, Family Dollar, Dollar General, General Dollar, etc. etc. stores.

3. While some states have rules on heating regulations (i.e., how warm a rental property must be WHEN THE LANDLORD IS PROVIDING THE HEAT SOURCE), the same is not true for air conditioning. In truth, many states do not require that air even be provided but, that if it is, it remain in a good working order. It would appear that the air does work; just not to your satisfaction. If you think the landlord is turning the thermostat up, go check the thermostat to see.

Good luck

Gail
As far as the LIGHT issue, landlord said he does not want a light sensor there. In my research, it seems like a landlord IS responsible for outside lighting, according to Maryland Law. Can I get confirmation of this?

§ 8-211. Repair of dangerous defects
(e) Serious and substantial defects and conditions
(1) Lack of heat, light, electricity, or hot or cold running water,

In the above law, what does "LIGHT" refer to? It appears to me that if a landlord is causing a lack of "light", it is considered a serious condition. I am also aware that landlords are held accountable if a tenant gets injured on property because of a lack of light. So, I think this is a legal obligation that a landlord has, unless I am misunderstanding something.

As far as me holding a flashlight or cell phone, that would be difficult for me, because I carry bags in my hands (either from shopping, or my work related items when returning from job). And since there WAS a working front light there when I moved in, and the landlord has intentionall REMOVED it and forbid any light anymore, it seems this is a denial of a service I had when I signed the lease.

Last edited:

LdiJ

As far as the LIGHT issue, landlord said he does not want a light sensor there. In my research, it seems like a landlord IS responsible for outside lighting, according to Maryland Law. Can I get confirmation of this?

§ 8-211. Repair of dangerous defects
(e) Serious and substantial defects and conditions
(1) Lack of heat, light, electricity, or hot or cold running water,

In the above law, what does "LIGHT" refer to? It appears to me that if a landlord is causing a lack of "light", it is considered a serious condition. I am also aware that landlords are held accountable if a tenant gets injured on property because of a lack of light. So, I think this is a legal obligation that a landlord has, unless I am misunderstanding something.

As far as me holding a flashlight or cell phone, that would be difficult for me, because I carry bags in my hands (either from shopping, or my work related items when returning from job). And since there WAS a working front light there when I moved in, and the landlord has intentionall REMOVED it and forbid any light anymore, it seems this is a denial of a service I had when I signed the lease.
Then you might want to contact whatever agency in your city handles inspections for rental properties about the issue. They might force him to have the outside lights working again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">