• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a friend moving to Arizona from Europe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frenchtoast

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I have a friend Maria, from Eastern Europe moving to Arizona very soon. She is poor but speaks great English. She needs to understand Arizona renting laws. She will have to rent rooms in other people's houses for the time being. Please keep that in mind.
Maria hasn't arrived in America and already she is getting strange emails and phone calls from her new landlady. We think that the landlady thinks my friend is an ignorant Eastern European girl. Maria has a college business degree and has been to the US before but never to live here. We think her new landlady is probably harmless but a flake.

For example: She wants Maria to bring her prescription drugs like some people do when leaving Mexico. :eek:The landlady knows Maria is living in France and coming straight from Paris, France. The landlady though told my friend that she thought that she could just ask the French pharmacists and tell them it was for herself and then they would give her whatever she wanted. Mexico and France are very different places legally speaking. And yes, the landlady has been to France before and speaks some French. This why we think she's a little bit crazy for thinking this would work. My friend told her it was impossible under French law.

What should my friend look out for as a first time renter? Tell me everything basic that you would want any first time renter to know.
Tell us about the first walk through.
When is it legal to enter a renter's room?
What to look for in the rental agreement.
Rules about giving proper notice. (I think she plans to be a month to month tenant though with this landlady.)

Thanks, FrenchtoastWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

Maria should avoid renting from anyone who asks her to smuggle drugs into the country!!! Talk about a red flag!

If she is moving someplace she has never been and won't have the opportunity to meet the landlord in person or see the property in person before moving in, and she doesn't know anyone in the area that can check things out for her, she should agree to the SHORTEST rental term she can get, which is likely 1 month unless she looks for a long term hotel/motel type place for the first few weeks. If it turns out the place or the landlord is terrible, she won't have to stay very long, and she can look for something better once she gets here.

Hot Topic

If the landlady has no problem asking Maria to obtain drugs illegally in another country, who's to say she wouldn't have qualms about doing it in the U.S. And Maria would be the "fall guy."

Who's Liable?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I have a friend Maria, from Eastern Europe moving to Arizona very soon. She is poor but speaks great English. She needs to understand Arizona renting laws. She will have to rent rooms in other people's houses for the time being. Please keep that in mind.
Maria hasn't arrived in America and already she is getting strange emails and phone calls from her new landlady. We think that the landlady thinks my friend is an ignorant Eastern European girl. Maria has a college business degree and has been to the US before but never to live here. We think her new landlady is probably harmless but a flake.

For example: She wants Maria to bring her prescription drugs like some people do when leaving Mexico. :eek:The landlady knows Maria is living in France and coming straight from Paris, France. The landlady though told my friend that she thought that she could just ask the French pharmacists and tell them it was for herself and then they would give her whatever she wanted. Mexico and France are very different places legally speaking. And yes, the landlady has been to France before and speaks some French. This why we think she's a little bit crazy for thinking this would work. My friend told her it was impossible under French law.
DO NOT RENT FROM THIS LANDLADY!

What should my friend look out for as a first time renter? Tell me everything basic that you would want any first time renter to know.
Have common sense, and if something doesn't sound/look right, walk away... Especially now that the economy is down, there are a lot of people willing to do things to make an extra buck.

Tell us about the first walk through.
Take PICTURES, either digital with a date imprint, OR a roll of film with the current days newspaper as the first photo per roll with the date clearly seen. There should also be a witness as well. Take note of EVERYTHING and mark things down. A good LL will have a walk-through checklist. If none is provided, take your own notes. Once this is done, make a list of ALL the items found and send it to the LL via CRR. In AZ, a letter sent CRR is deemed "delivered" regardless of signature. This means even if the LL refuses or cannot get to the mail in time, AZ courts deem the LL knows the content of the letter. IF the letter is returned unopened, DO NOT OPEN IT as it becomes evidence of the attempt tp notify the LL.

When is it legal to enter a renter's room?
AZ requires A MINIMUM of 24 hours notice to enter a unit UNLESS there is a VALID EMERGENCY. A LL can be sued for abuse of entry if it is deemed they are entering without proof of an emergency.

What to look for in the rental agreement.
Any weird clauses that don't make sense. Make note of the NOTICE TO VACATE clause. What is required proper notice to vacate, is it 30/60/90 days. Also, make sure there is a VALID street address for contacting the LL, as well as and EMERGENCY phone# for weekdays, and weekends.

Rules about giving proper notice. (I think she plans to be a month to month tenant though with this landlady.)
see above...

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">