• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have been a USA Citizen now for 3 years.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DelMalam

Florida

Originally from the UK. Became a USA citizen 3 years ago. I have 2 children. One is 15 and the other is 16. They too have their USA passports now too.

However, the INS database still shows them as permanent resident aliens.

How do we correct this without it costing thousands of dollars?

The children's bio mother and myself are US Citizens. But in the INS database, the children are still showing as Resident Aliens. Everything I can find says it costs thousands of dollars to correct. That seems crazy to me, when they already have their USA passports.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

I would recommend an immigration attorney. I know it will cost money, but in this day and age I wouldn't want to mess with trying to rectify the problem myself. It is too risky.

DelMalam

I would recommend an immigration attorney. I know it will cost money, but in this day and age I wouldn't want to mess with trying to rectify the problem myself. It is too risky.
I don't agree that its too risky. We are all USA citizens after all, with USA Passports. So that can not go away. I just wish that 1 agency would talk to the other, without the need of fleecing us for even more $$$. I thought that B.S was all behind us now!

LdiJ

I don't agree that its too risky. We are all USA citizens after all, with USA Passports. So that can not go away. I just wish that 1 agency would talk to the other, without the need of fleecing us for even more $$$. I thought that B.S was all behind us now!
So do your children have other proof of citizenship besides the passports? Do you have the paperwork from when they became citizens? If so, it might be pretty simple for an immigration attorney to fix the problem.

Mass_Shyster

However, the INS database still shows them as permanent resident aliens.
I'm not sure what "INS database" you mean, since INS was dismantled in 2003.

In any event, you can file an N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, but I suspect that's the "thousands of dollars" you're talking about. The filing fee around $1,100 each. I'm not sure there's a good reason to spend money to correct their records. A passport is proof of citizenship.

"A passport, during its period of validity (if such period is the maximum period authorized by law), issued by the Secretary of State to a citizen of the United States shall have the same force and effect as proof of United States citizenship as certificates of naturalization or of citizenship issued by the Attorney General or by a court having naturalization jurisdiction. 22 U.S.C. § 2705"

LdiJ

What other proof of citizenship do you think would be required?
My ex got paperwork when he naturalized. I don't recall exactly what the paperwork was, only that they handed him a stack of papers when he took his oath of citizenship. Those were the paperwork that he used to get his passport.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My ex got paperwork when he naturalized. I don't recall exactly what the paperwork was, only that they handed him a stack of papers when he took his oath of citizenship. Those were the paperwork that he used to get his passport.
To rephrase my question: Why do you believe that a passport is not the only type of "documentation" one should need to prove citizenship?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
They already have US passports.

LdiJ

To rephrase my question: Why do you believe that a passport is not the only type of "documentation" one should need to prove citizenship?
A passport should be all that is needed. However, when there is a mistake in the database like this one, the powers that be could believe that a passport is a well done phony. It's always helpful to have backup documentation. Remember that US citizen teenager in Texas who spent 30 days in a detention center for undocumented aliens even though he had his US passport and driver's license on him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">