• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have been trying to get some answers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rod51023

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I work at a community college, which I attended and graduated from. From near the beginning of my enrollment at this college, I have worked in the area that I'm in now. I started work as a student work-study, then I was a work-study / temporary part-time employee and now I am a permanent part-time employee. I was hired as a part-time Student Success Center Clerk. In May of 2001, the full time position for Student Success Center Clerk was eliminated but the part-time position was retained. At that time, I was employed by the Academic Services department. In August of 2001, my position was assigned to the Information Technologies department. This department has changed my position to Help Desk Technician and has documented that I perform Help Desk Technician duties. The problem I have with this is that my job discription and pay remains at Student Success Center Clerk which is a pay grade lower than the Help Desk position. I am expected to carry out all of the duties of the Help Desk Technician and no longer perform the duties of a Student Success Center Clerk. A fellow employee that I worked closely with, and was once my supervisor, was demoted from a Computer Lab Supervisor to a Help Desk Technician shortly after the transfer to the same department. He was told that he had to drop down two pay grades because his position had been eliminated. He fought this through the local union and did not have to take the drop in pay. When I questioned why I haven't been elevated to the position of Help Desk Technician, I recieve the answer that my position was a reorganizational transfer and therefore, the position stays as it is. I was told one time, shortly after the transfer, that there were no Help Desk Technician positions open and could not be appointed to that position. Within two weeks of that, a person was hired as a part-time Help Desk Technician. Now the position is open again. I, again, asked about the position and was told, by my supervisor, that she would talk to her supervisor and get back to me on the matter. My supervisor keeps telling me now that she is still working on my question and will still get back to me. I seemed to be getting "put off" on this. My question to the forum is: Who do ask about this situation? Everything I find in researching the EEOC website refers to sexual discrimination when it explains about equal pay for equal work. My union has been worthless in helping me with this and as of late, anyone that files a grievance, has had their job eliminated. I know that there is something wrong with this situation but don't know where to go with this. Can you help me?

Beth3

There are no laws that require an employer to pay more than minimum wage. They could pay the President of the College an hourly minimum wage if they wanted to (and could get someone to accept the job on those terms.)

There are no laws which require job descriptions, job titles, pay grades or ranges, to offer more money when someone is transferred to a more difficult position, or any of that stuff. The Equal Pay Act prohibits employers from discriminating in pay ON THE BASIS of gender. That does not seem an issue here. What it appears you are dealing with is a cumbersome school bureaucracy, budget cuts, and a union who apparenly is only interested in collecting your dues. None of that is illegal. Your recourse is to (a) find another job; (b) appeal to management on your own (again); (c) file a grievance with your union; (d) vote your current union leadership out of office; or (e) decertify and get rid of the union altogether.

The bottom line is that there is no way to force your employer to give you a pay raise for moving into the Help Desk position.

R

Rod51023

Thank you Beth! I kind of figured I was dead in the water. I'm 54 yrs. old and they seem to have me where they want me. It is very difficult to find a job in this area, especially at my age and my field of study. Maybe I'll just stick it out until I'm eligible to be a greeter at WalMart! I forgot to mention that I am also a part time instructor at the college and enjoy that very much. The pay is exceptionally good in that area. I will survive but I just wanted to know.

Thanks again...

Beth3

Don't be so quick to sell yourself short because of your age. Speaking as someone who has had recruiting responsibilties for many years, reliable, mature, experienced candidates who have a solid work history and know how to handle themselves professionally are very attractive to many employers.

Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In fact, I know at least two employers who PREFER to hire older workers because they think they're more reliable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">