• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have custody and am looking to move out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

traceface

What is the name of your state? New Yorkmessage I have full custody of my daugher and her father has visitation. We were never married and he has moved to another state 5 years ago. I plan on going to the courts, but am wondering what problems I may have with the courts in leaving the state. We were both very young when we had our daughter. I am not looking to have it that he can't see her, it will just be about 6 hours away from where I now live. Any advice would be appreciated.

F

FJ1200guy

Is it 6 hours further from dad? Are you moving to the same state as him, and what exactly is the visitation now? I guess the bottom line is, you should be able to move unless dad tries to stop you, and even then, you'll still be able to most likely, but the court will want to ensure dads visitation is still kept up. How far is he from you now?

T

traceface

He moved to CT. and she goes over on a ferry from where we live now (Long Island). He had lived closer to to us but has moved closer to the Mass. border. She goes up every other weekend but her dad sends her home early on Sundays and she then spends the day with her grandmother. I have no problem with making arrangements for her to visit as much as possible. I have never been to where he lives but had mapped it out and its approximately 6 hours from him also. We live right now about 166 miles apart. When he left NY, he never bothered to tell me. He was going to act like he still lived in the same state. He visits with our daughter more regularly now that I am getting married. The schools down in MD where we are planning to move have a very different schedule with time off from school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">