• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have made 3 attempts to Serve about fraudulent charges to my Serve account.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?Idaho

On June 7, & 8th of this year some unknown criminal spent $35.96 to my Serve prepaid debit card. It is clearly unknown how this person got my Serve card number as I don't give out that info to anyone. One transaction amount was in the amount of $2.79, the other in the amount of $5.99. On June 8th, two additional purchases from Vudo.com were made & charged to my Serve Card. One of them in the amount of $5.99 & the other in the amount of $21.19. All of these transactions were to Vudo.com I did not purchase anything from Vudo.com & never have. I have made three attempts to dispute these charges to Serve, only to have them decline my dispute. I filled out the necessary paperwork each time only to have them "decline my dispute" each time. They say they have authorizations on each of these transactions & that seems to be enough for them. I have requested that they show me the paperwork that was done at that time that is showing that it is NOT a fraudulent transaction! Serve stalls around at the request for proof that I can see that authorizations were made "by me" in regard to these transactions. I would really just like for Serve to return $35.96 to my account since I have done the necessary paperwork three times. Serve needs to be finding out WHO made these transactions instead of making me look like I am just making this up! Since I have made every attempt to get American Express Serve to help me get my money back, is there anything else I can do to recover my loss of $35.96?

LdiJ

On June 7, & 8th of this year some unknown criminal spent $35.96 to my Serve prepaid debit card. It is clearly unknown how this person got my Serve card number as I don't give out that info to anyone. One transaction amount was in the amount of $2.79, the other in the amount of $5.99. On June 8th, two additional purchases from Vudo.com were made & charged to my Serve Card. One of them in the amount of $5.99 & the other in the amount of $21.19. All of these transactions were to Vudo.com I did not purchase anything from Vudo.com & never have. I have made three attempts to dispute these charges to Serve, only to have them decline my dispute. I filled out the necessary paperwork each time only to have them "decline my dispute" each time. They say they have authorizations on each of these transactions & that seems to be enough for them. I have requested that they show me the paperwork that was done at that time that is showing that it is NOT a fraudulent transaction! Serve stalls around at the request for proof that I can see that authorizations were made "by me" in regard to these transactions. I would really just like for Serve to return $35.96 to my account since I have done the necessary paperwork three times. Serve needs to be finding out WHO made these transactions instead of making me look like I am just making this up! Since I have made every attempt to get American Express Serve to help me get my money back, is there anything else I can do to recover my loss of $35.96?
I cannot think of anything else at this time, but I do think that you need to get a new account or it might keep happening.

quincy

You do not have a Vudo app and/or have not rented or purchased movies that could explain the amounts debited from your Serve card?

Could the amounts debited be explained by the Serve card’s monthly fees or ATM withdrawal fees?

Last edited:

FarmerJ

I suggest you find a local bank and get a checking account with a check card and set the checking account so if your card is used and it causes a bounce that they dont have the option to pay it and have to refuse it. Then in your search for a local bank to find out before you open a account what the banks exact policy is regarding un authorized use and how to dispute or charge back - forcibly take the money back

I have never used Vudu.com nor do I have an account with them. This purchase had to be made online; however, I cannot tell you how my card number got in the wrong hands. There are scanners out there that criminals use to get card numbers, too. I don't understand how American Express can decline this dispute as this is the first time I have ever had this kind of issue in regard to fraudulent use of my card.

jimnyc

I believe vudu.com is a video service from Walmart. Perhaps did you purchase anything online from Walmart pertaining to videos?

quincy

I believe vudu.com is a video service from Walmart. Perhaps did you purchase anything online from Walmart pertaining to videos?
Vudu is an app you can download (like Disney+).

The Walmart connection is if you purchase an InstaWatch DVD or BlueRay at Walmart, Vudu will send you a digital copy instantly.

I imagine movies were viewed thinking they were the free movies offered but instead they were the rentals.

zddoodah

On June 8th, two additional purchases from Vudo.com were made & charged to my Serve Card. One of them in the amount of $5.99 & the other in the amount of $21.19. All of these transactions were to Vudo.com I did not purchase anything from Vudo.com & never have.
I have never used Vudu.com nor do I have an account with them.
Which is it?

is there anything else I can do to recover my loss of $35.96?
As a practical matter, no. It's $36. It's not even worth the small claims filing fee or the time it would take for a court appearance. That said, read the terms and conditions that govern the card and see if there's anything else to be done.

FarmerJ

LISA BTW if you want to watch things for free consider buying a Roku box, we did and in more than 3 years have NEVER ordered any thing from it that cost money , they have a lot of offerings for free and with roof antenna and free tv were good to go between those two things and consider in the future using certified mail with real written on paper letter when you have disputes with services , and staple a copy to your certified receipt , with certified mail they cant claim they didn't get a notice and this way there is a real paper trail proving a communication was made by you.

Vudu is an app you can download (like Disney+).

The Walmart connection is if you purchase an InstaWatch DVD or BlueRay at Walmart, Vudu will send you a digital copy instantly.

I imagine movies were viewed thinking they were the free movies offered but instead they were the rentals.
I never purchased anything video wise from Wal Mart or any other source.

quincy

I never purchased anything video wise from Wal Mart or any other source.
You will have to work through American Express to get this resolved. It would help if you could identify the source of the problem (i.e., who accessed your card).

Because the amount in question is relatively small, you might find it easier to accept the erroneous debits and then close your account.

You will have to work through American Express to get this resolved. It would help if you could identify the source of the problem (i.e., who accessed your card).

Because the amount in question is relatively small, you might find it easier to accept the erroneous debits and then close your account.
I've been trying to get Am Express to dig deeper into this situation. They need to contact Vudo.com and go through this situation & find out who did this. I will probably end up closing this account and taking the loss; however, I don't want to give up just yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">