• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I just got a letter I should not have received

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hunterman

What is the name of your state?Here's a timeline of what has happened:

In October I sent a letter to a debt collector requesting debt validation.

In February I filed chapter seven. The debt collector was listed and the certificate of service shows them being notified by first class mail.

Early this month the debt was discharged. The debt collector was listed on the certificate of service for the discharge. Once again, they were notified by first class mail from the court.

Today I received a letter from this debt collector validating the debt with a copy of the original credit agreement. The letter also says I should contact them to arrange for payment of the debt.

This debt collector is located in my state. I am very tempted to sue them in small claims court over them not following the bankruptcy laws by trying to collect on a debt that was included in a bankruptcy and discharged.

Any thoughts on what I should or could do?

JETX

Hunterman said:
Any thoughts on what I should or could do?
Yep. First, provide your state as required by the forum rules.
Second.... send the debt collector a very nice letter telling them that your debt has been discharged in bankruptcy and to remove your debt from their records.
Pretty simple, huh??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">