• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I know I'm in trouble with collecting SSI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danny54

I have been collecting SSI benefits for almost a year now while being overseas and I know that's illegal. I just couldn't stand living in the United States anymore with not even enough money left over to buy a pair of pants at the end of the month. My first year on SSI I was called in to the SSA office to see if anything had changed. I don't know if they're going to mail me a letter this time when the second year starts in January but they may call me back in personally to their office. If I lie to them and tell them I have not been overseas they're probably going to find out and that's purgery. If I tell them the truth I'm in trouble that way and SSA probably will suspend my benefits for maybe two years and even put me in jail. I am 67 so any advice would be helpful. I fully realize this is my doing because I chose not to pay taxes most of my life and now I pay the price I had cancer two times and it wiped me out. That's why I'm in the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">