• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I know someone who's using their child's ssn for a utility bill.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allorax

In Illinois. I trust this person and they are a good parent who apparently didn't do proper research, so I'm not looking for a moral debate on whether or not to report them or anything. I don't plan to. Basically she told me she'd used their 8 year old's ssn to open an account for internet service, and while they have an outstanding bill with the same company, she plans to pay it soon (can't remember for what but waiting on a payment of some kind) and did so to get a better price or something. She is keeping the bill up to date. But I guess was concerned after getting a voicemail telling her to contact customer service right away. Said she thought it was only illegal if you accrued a debt and now is worried. I've heard a lot of stories about people wanting to build their kid's credit, so I honestly believe her. Actually I'm not entirely sure myself, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal either way. Specifically got something with no contract so that she could cancel when it was time. What's the likelihood that this gets discovered and she gets in legal trouble?

Last edited:

Just Blue

In Illinois. I trust this person and they are a good parent who apparently didn't do proper research, so I'm not looking for a moral debate on whether or not to report them or anything. I don't plan to. Basically she told me she'd used their 8 year old's ssn to open an account for internet service, and while they have an outstanding bill with the same company, she plans to pay it soon (can't remember for what but waiting on a payment of some kind) and did so to get a better price or something. She is keeping the bill up to date. But I guess was concerned after getting a voicemail telling her to contact customer service right away. Said she thought it was only illegal if you accrued a debt and now is worried. I've heard a lot of stories about people wanting to build their kid's credit, so I honestly believe her. Actually I'm not entirely sure myself, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal either way. Specifically got something with no contract so that she could cancel when it was time. What's the likelihood that this gets discovered and she gets in legal trouble?
Tell your "friend" to google the term "Identity Theft".

BTW: An 8 year old doesn't need their credit built up. :rolleyes:

quincy

It is illegal to use someone else's social security number to establish and/or obtain credit.

I recommend that your friend pay the outstanding balance now and close the account and she should hope that what she did is never discovered.

paddywakk

She can't get service under her own number because she didn't pay her bill. What's going to happen when she can't pay THIS bill?

Worked in federal student aid for many years, and you won't believe how many parents used their kids name and number to take out loans they defaulted on later. Not as common now as it used to be.

Just Blue

She can't get service under her own number because she didn't pay her bill. What's going to happen when she can't pay THIS bill?

Worked in federal student aid for many years, and you won't believe how many parents used their kids name and number to take out loans they defaulted on later. Not as common now as it used to be.
That happened to a friend of mine...her father/mother used her info to get credit cards. When she was 18 her credit was destroyed.

LdiJ

If the message from customer service was for her, then its probably about her outstanding bill that hasn't been paid. If the message from customer service was for her son, then she may have a problem.

However, if she messes up the bill that is in her son's name, then she will cause him serious credit problems down the road, and that is a very BAD thing.

paddywakk

I had a shady relative whose utilities were shut off because she didn't pay her bill. She got them turned back on by using her 5 year old's name and SS#. Those were turned off because she didn't pay that bill either. So she talked a friend into getting them back on under the friend's name. Of course,she didn't pay that one either, and there went a 20 year friendship!

quincy

allorax didn't say her friend couldn't pay an existing internet service bill but rather the friend told allorax that she opened a new account using the son's social security number to "get a better price or something."

Whether that is true is a question mark. I have some doubts. :)

I have heard of parents who used their children's student loans for their own purposes, leaving their children without means to finance their education.

LdiJ

allorax didn't say her friend couldn't pay an existing internet service bill but rather the friend told allorax that she opened a new account using the son's social security number to "get a better price or something."

Whether that is true is a question mark. I have some doubts.

I have heard of parents who used their children's student loans for their own purposes, leaving their children without means to finance their education.
I think it was both. However, it is very true that new customers can score the best pricing for internet service. The problem is that the promotional deal only lasts about six months to a year and then the prices go up to normal rates.

quincy

I think it was both. However, it is very true that new customers can score the best pricing for internet service. The problem is that the promotional deal only lasts about six months to a year and then the prices go up to normal rates.
The reason given to allorax seems a story created by the friend perhaps to preserve the "good parent" image - although why the friend would say anything at all to allorax is a bit of a puzzle.

I imagine the internet service provider has some questions about why there are two different accounts opened for the same residence.

LdiJ

The reason given to allorax seems a story created by the friend perhaps to preserve the "good parent" image - although why the friend would say anything at all to allorax is a bit of a puzzle.

I imagine the internet service provider has some questions about why there are two different accounts opened for the same residence.
That happens all the time when someone moves and leaves a bill outstanding.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Same residence and same last name?
I can think of at least one legitimate reason. As soon as my Young Adult can pay half the mortage and the bills, I'm going to empty nest her. The bills here will have to be put in her name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">