• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Learned Something Interesting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nagol818

What is the name of your state? PA
I talked to an attorney yesterday regarding my child support and custody/visitation ordeal. Somehow during our conversation he told me about a case he is handling right now where the child was born in Texas and lived there all 4 years of her life with her mother with NO custody order. The child came to visit her dad in PA recently for 1 1/2 weeks then went back to Texas. I don't know all the details of the situation but basically, dad filed for custody and the judge ordered the child BACK to PA until custody issues are settled.

THAT'S very unnerving for those of us who have interstate situations. I couldn't believe my ears!

Just thought I'd share.

BelizeBreeze

nagol818 said:
What is the name of your state? PA
I talked to an attorney yesterday regarding my child support and custody/visitation ordeal. Somehow during our conversation he told me about a case he is handling right now where the child was born in Texas and lived there all 4 years of her life with her mother with NO custody order. The child came to visit her dad in PA recently for 1 1/2 weeks then went back to Texas. I don't know all the details of the situation but basically, dad filed for custody and the judge ordered the child BACK to PA until custody issues are settled.

THAT'S very unnerving for those of us who have interstate situations. I couldn't believe my ears!

Just thought I'd share.
Not really that interesting. Jurisdiction where there is no standing order is a 'full faith and credit issue". Since there was no action in Texas to preclude dad's filing, the PA. courts are free to hear the case.

nagol818

I guess I just don't understand how that's in the best interest of the child; to be uplifted from everything she has known for all of her life.

Just seems unfair to the child.

shaufe

Maybe the dad saw signs of abuse or neglect. I would think there is more to that story than meets the eye.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">