• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I lost my diamond!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

88Civic

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I was recently involved in a car accident that was not my fault. As a result of the accident, the diamond was knocked out of my engagement ring and could not be found. Is the insurance company of the at-fault party responsible? What about other contents of the car that were destroyed?

P

ProResearch

I believe the answer would be, can you *prove* that your diamond was lost at *that* time. Can you prove that you didn't lose it at another time, like right before the accident or days before the accident?

As to the other contents of your car being destroyed, the answer is the same. If you can prove that damage was done to the contents of the car because of the car wreck, then you should be able to make a claim. For example, if you had some music CDs in your trunk and the trunk was smashed up because of impact of the car wreck and the CDs were destroyed, then you should be able to claim the CDs.

Be prepared for the at-fault ins. co. representative to say otherwise though. They generally try to minimize any loss. That's why you have to have proof that will not go away just because *they* say it didn't happen that way.

I hope this helps. Perhaps someone else will add another view!

tammy8

You should have had a renters or homeowners policy with a jewelery rider on it to cover this lose. As far as all other properties some is covered (if you have the damaged property) and I will check to see EXACTLY what is and what is not covered tomorrow when I get in the office.

88Civic

Thanks for replying ProResearch and Tammy8. We have Renters, but it only covers part of the value, and I wouldn't want my premium to go up if I make a claim on my own policy. As for proof that it was lost in the accident, it is documented with the emergency room (who notified me that the diamond was missing) and with the police who investigated the accident. So is this considered property damage? What are my options to get back the value of the diamond? Any help or advice would be much appreciated :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">