• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I nedd to make a decision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ralphos

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

My wife and I are having problems. She is an Alcoholic. She was recently released from a short term rehab facility. As part of her discharge she was prescribed 5 medications one of which was anabuse. Anabuse when taken as directed is supposed to induce severe pain and illness if alcohol is consumed. When I came home from work this past wednesday my wife was intoxicated. Therfore the medication is not working or more likley she is not taking it. We have a 2 month old daughter which has been placed with greatgrandparents for her safety during my wifes rehabilitation period, as I can not be with her 24 hours a day nor leave her in my wifes care. Since wy wife appears to have relapsed into alacoholism I feel I must make the baby the priority and move her out of state to my relatives until I get issues resolved with my wife (possible divorce). My immediate question is this, can I take her out of state without being accused of kidnapping.

LdiJ

ralphos said:
What is the name of your state? TEXAS

My wife and I are having problems. She is an Alcoholic. She was recently released from a short term rehab facility. As part of her discharge she was prescribed 5 medications one of which was anabuse. Anabuse when taken as directed is supposed to induce severe pain and illness if alcohol is consumed. When I came home from work this past wednesday my wife was intoxicated. Therfore the medication is not working or more likley she is not taking it. We have a 2 month old daughter which has been placed with greatgrandparents for her safety during my wifes rehabilitation period, as I can not be with her 24 hours a day nor leave her in my wifes care. Since wy wife appears to have relapsed into alacoholism I feel I must make the baby the priority and move her out of state to my relatives until I get issues resolved with my wife (possible divorce). My immediate question is this, can I take her out of state without being accused of kidnapping.
That really isn't a wise move at all. Mom can certainly immediately file a petition asking the judge to order you to return the child to the jurisdiction, and the judge will likely honor that request.

Was CPS/DFYS involved, at all, in placing the child with the greatgrandparents? If so, then you would be in a world of hurt if you attempted to move the child out of state.

Quite frankly, it would be wiser and safer to leave the child with the greatgrandparents even if CPS wasn't involved, until you have permission (if you can get it) from the court to move her out of state.

BL

You would have known if she was drinking on antibuse .

As far as I know you would have Just as much right to take your daughter as She would have ( Equal rights ).

You want to leave and take the Child until you get a divorce .

I'd would try to get her help again ( it may be out of your control ) , but you should try for your Child's sake .

If the child is old enough to speak and begs the Mom to quit , it might stick and have an effect in her brain . Maybe not right away , but eventually , and while not saying it would be your fault , what If Mom went off the deep end and did something drastic .

Wouldn't you want to at least say you tried to your child ?

I've never heard of rehab. Dr's . prescribing 5 meds on release , unless absolutely necessary .

You need to speak with that Dr. Maybe he/she can intervene .

It sounds like the Mother needs long term inpatient treatment .

This is the Child's mother after all.

Get the child in a safe place IF you can not be home all the time . No Judge will fault you for it .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">