• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need advice and help.. Please read below

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jollyholly1967

My dad is in a memory care home. He has alzheimers's. He does not know what is going on. His wife of over 30 years who took care of all the finances and told nobody anything passed away last week. There is me to take care of my dad and she has 2 grandchildren. Her children are also deceased. Anyway, I am being asked to be Power of Attorney and I do not know too much about it. I am learning but it is a big responsibility. There are many questions. The will has not been probated. I will probably wind up being Power of Attorney. I want what is rightfully my dad's and he can not make any decisions because of his condition. I am working with a family member of the deceased to get the plan rolling but hope to be able to do it correctly in the interest of my dad. i will learn what the first steps are and I am sure it will become easier once I understand it all. I just worry about getting flim flammed because no one knew what was in the deceased person's mind when it came to the care. They own a house together. She supposedly left it to the kids but my dad is part owner. So I am not sure about that either. Please help in any way anyone can. Ty

Just Blue

My dad is in a memory care home. He has alzheimers's. He does not know what is going on. His wife of over 30 years who took care of all the finances and told nobody anything passed away last week. There is me to take care of my dad and she has 2 grandchildren. Her children are also deceased. Anyway, I am being asked to be Power of Attorney and I do not know too much about it. I am learning but it is a big responsibility. There are many questions. The will has not been probated. I will probably wind up being Power of Attorney. I want what is rightfully my dad's and he can not make any decisions because of his condition. I am working with a family member of the deceased to get the plan rolling but hope to be able to do it correctly in the interest of my dad. i will learn what the first steps are and I am sure it will become easier once I understand it all. I just worry about getting flim flammed because no one knew what was in the deceased person's mind when it came to the care. They own a house together. She supposedly left it to the kids but my dad is part owner. So I am not sure about that either. Please help in any way anyone can. Ty
What state?

LdiJ

Unfortunately, you cannot be Power of Attorney for your father. A POA has to be granted while someone is of sound mind, and your father is not of sound mind. You can go to court and get guardianship of your father, which would give you the ability to do the same things that a POA would give you.

Unless the house got put in just the wife's name somewhere along the line, it was probably deeded in such a way that it became your father's sole property when she passed away, therefore she could not have left it to her kids or grandkids. That would be standard for a home purchased jointly by a husband and wife.

If medicaid is being used to fund your father's memory care home, then medicaid will be looking to be reimbursed by the proceeds of selling the home, now that his wife has passed away. If medicaid is not funding his memory care home, then you may need the proceeds of the house to continue funding his care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">