• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help fast!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

millerlite

I was stupid and took money out of my ex-girlfriend's bank using her atm card. When I called the detective that was investigating he said there is a warrant for my arrest. The detective said there was more money missing from her account then I took. What do I need to do? Is there any way of resolving this matter without the courts being involved? The funny thing is she gave me her pin #, does that help in my defense at all?

B

BUBBA

I love it when you do stupid things like this. Hope you are in the next cell with me. :) I have plans.

M

millerlite

You're real funny. The funny thing is the money was spent on her. The ex is trying to get revenge. I won't see you anytime soon, Bubba!

T

Tracey

DON'T talk to police until you have an attorney. You're facing charges for theft, bank theft, unauthorized use of a bank card, etc. These could be felonies depending on how much money was taken. You didn't really think it was OK to take the money did you? Just cause she gave you her PIN doesn't mean she authorized you to take money any time you needed to buy her a present to make up for your latest transgression.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

M

millerlite

Tracey,
Thanks for the input. Yes and no about it being wrong to take the money. It wasn't spent on presents for her, it was used to fix her car, etc... When I say it was spent on her, it was used for stuff she needed but didn't have time to do herself because of her working many hours.

T

Tracey

OH! Well that's totally different. Your defense is NOT good faith claim of right or title. You will argue you were her designated agent for the purposes of taking her car to the shop, getting $ from the account to pay for it, then giving every single penny you withdrew to the garage. Go back to the garage & have them give you copies of the invoices & match this amount to the bank statements. Flat out deny withdrawing any $ for unauthorized purchases/service.

Get a lawyer first -- you want to see every day/amount she's claiming you took so you can have your proof ready when you talk to police. You may also subpoena the security tapes from the ATMs. Then file charges against her for criminal harrassment & sue her for the attorney fees you spent getting the charges dismissed.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">