• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help! please help me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

momolumlum

Hi. I am from San Francisco, CA. actually san leandro, ca 94577. near san francisco. I have a couple question to ask. Please help me. Thank you in advance.
here we go...I am 20 yr old now. 2 yrs ago when I was still in High School. (Year 1998). I was in the football game with my high school team. I got injured during the game, and I had to have a surgery, I torn my ACL down on my left knee. But there is one problem... I didn't have Insurance for playing football, the coaches has overlooked that and forgot to push me to buy insurance before I join the team. (because school require that I have to have insurance to play football.) So, the school was kindly enough to let me have the surgery with "everything" pay for ( that's what the coaches and the athletic director of the school told me at least ). Then, one day, there is a guy coming to my house... I dont remember who he said he was.. I guess he said he was from the lawyer office or school district. He said that b/4 I do the surgery, I need to sign this paper... I was young then I didn't know nothing about law and my mom who also sign it who dont know much english. I didn't want to sign anything but I remember him said there is a chance that I can't do the surgery if I dont sign that paper. ( Hey.. if you were me.. all you want to do is the surgery at that time right? ) I do kinda remember what he said on the paper now. He said that the school is only liable for $10,000.00. anything above that will be my responible to pay. I remember talking to my mom about this.. asking her will this be over the amount.. and that guy told us that it will have a very small chance it will go over, even if it does. it will only be like.. couple hundreds. So we signed. after the surgery.. and physical theorpy.. I have bills for up to around $3000 to $6000. ( dont really know how much now.. becasue of the time.. and probably interests. We did talk to the school.. even try to see the top guy for the school district.. but all we got was a letter back from the lawyer office representing the school saying that the school is not responsible for the payment.. and I sign that stupid paper... And I didn't know what to do.. and I just leave it behind me.. hoping nothign will happen.. but recently.. I know more about the 'world'.. and how credits are very IMPORTANT. I was refuse to finance a car and even cell phones... because of the money that I own the physical theorpy I believe... they are couple thousands dollars.. how can I pay it? even if I can, I wont pay.. because I believe it is not me who should pay it. i am mad at the school.. they lie to me that they said they were going to pay for everything.. but now.. leave me hanging... so please anyone who can help me.. please let me know what kind of lawyers I need to look for.. or there is no way that I can ask the school to pay for my damages? Please let me know.. I really need help. Thank you very much in advance. :)

ALawyer

There is a rule -- NEVER SIGN ANYTHING unless you understand it. Here you and your mother signed first and asked later, and absent clear fraud, or if you are lucky an ambiguous document, I fear you are out of luck.

I don't think a lawyer will help you as you probably waived your rights to sue the school. BUT as none of us know what yuu signed there may be (or may have been) a claim for poor training, bad grounds, defective equipment etc. and if the statute of limitations has not run, a chance others may be there to sue. Perhpas there is a basis for a claim, but I doubt it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">