• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Need Legal Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Miru

Hello. I'm 17 years old, I turn 18 on September 19th, and I live in Florida with my grandparents; however, I have only lived herre for 3-4 weeks, and I move here from Illinois. Let me explain my situation.

Almost a month ago, I was kicked out of my house by my Step-father because of things I said to him in a heated argument we had, in which he said very hurtful things, and I said hurtful things back (no physical violence was threatened), however, for about 12 years, we have always had an unstable relationship. In the past, he has put me in a choke-hold and threatened to choke me until I blacked out, and tried to start a physical fight with me by walking after me and telling me to fight him (which he conviently doesn't remember doing), which resulted in a visit from CPS who determined that no action had to be taken, since it was the first physical incident that had occured. He has also threatened to kick me out multiple times in the past, but that last argument was the one where he followed through with it. Other than that, he has also called me names, and has said that all I knew how to do was to play "games", implying that I wouldn't be able to do anything else-- however, I know verbal abuse doesn't mean much in the legal world, so that's all I'll say on that end. I would also like to mention that when I was around five years old, when my mother married him six months after they met, and about 4-5 months after I met him, he "adopted" me, but in almost all current forms of my identification, it says my birth surname, instead of his, including my Illinois driving permit and former school ID.

Anyway, the only place I had left to go was my grandparents' in Florida, so I stayed with my Great-Aunt for a couple of days, before taking a flight out to my current location-- all with my Mother's assistance and approval. After my plane ticket had already been purchased, and on the night before my flight, he offered to let me back in the house, to which I obviously declined; there was no way I was going to go back into a verbally and sometimes physically abusive household that he had created.

Now that I'm living with my Grandparents, I am the happiest I've been in a very long time. I am obviously still on their insurance, and my Mother still has custody of me. My question is, would there be any way for my Mother to take me away from my grandparents before I'm 18? If so, what legal ways are there to fight against that if that were to happen (which I'm basically 100% certain it will never happen)? I'm only asking because it has been one of my biggest anxieties, and if there is any possibility of that coming to fruition, I'd like to know how to defend myself against it.

LdiJ

Your mother certainly would have the legal right to make you return to IL but she knows that you are turning 18 in September too, and she knows it will be your choice then. She may very well cooperate with you staying with your grandparents. If she does not, it unfortunately may be very difficult for your grandparents to enroll you in school.

Miru

Your mother certainly would have the legal right to make you return to IL but she knows that you are turning 18 in September too, and she knows it will be your choice then. She may very well cooperate with you staying with your grandparents. If she does not, it unfortunately may be very difficult for your grandparents to enroll you in school.
Coincidentally, I dropped out of school a month or two before this all happened because of many reasons, so right now, I'm focused on trying to get my GED-- whether that be online, or through a local junior college.

LdiJ

Coincidentally, I dropped out of school a month or two before this all happened because of many reasons, so right now, I'm focused on trying to get my GED-- whether that be online, or through a local junior college.
If you have the chance to get back in school and get a regular diploma, you should try. There are also some online high schools.

Miru

If you have the chance to get back in school and get a regular diploma, you should try. There are also some online high schools.
Trust me, it wasn't an easy decision to make, and one I was highly reluctant to make, but for now, I'm going to stick with my currenr plan-- enrolling back into school is a bit more difficult than usual for me, plus, I'm kind of just done with highschool-- I know that probably sounds stupid, and that it seems like a dumb decision, but it's really the only option for me, especially now-- but I do appreciate that.

LdiJ

Trust me, it wasn't an easy decision to make, and one I was highly reluctant to make, but for now, I'm going to stick with my currenr plan-- enrolling back into school is a bit more difficult than usual for me, plus, I'm kind of just done with highschool-- I know that probably sounds stupid, and that it seems like a dumb decision, but it's really the only option for me, especially now-- but I do appreciate that.
As I said, there are online high schools. You could probably finish high school in the same amount of time it would take you to finish a GED course and get a GED.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Hello. I'm 17 years old, I turn 18 on September 19th, and I live in Florida with my grandparents; however, I have only lived herre for 3-4 weeks, and I move here from Illinois. Let me explain my situation.

Almost a month ago, I was kicked out of my house by my Step-father because of things I said to him in a heated argument we had, in which he said very hurtful things, and I said hurtful things back (no physical violence was threatened), however, for about 12 years, we have always had an unstable relationship. In the past, he has put me in a choke-hold and threatened to choke me until I blacked out, and tried to start a physical fight with me by walking after me and telling me to fight him (which he conviently doesn't remember doing), which resulted in a visit from CPS who determined that no action had to be taken, since it was the first physical incident that had occured. He has also threatened to kick me out multiple times in the past, but that last argument was the one where he followed through with it. Other than that, he has also called me names, and has said that all I knew how to do was to play "games", implying that I wouldn't be able to do anything else-- however, I know verbal abuse doesn't mean much in the legal world, so that's all I'll say on that end. I would also like to mention that when I was around five years old, when my mother married him six months after they met, and about 4-5 months after I met him, he "adopted" me, but in almost all current forms of my identification, it says my birth surname, instead of his, including my Illinois driving permit and former school ID.

Anyway, the only place I had left to go was my grandparents' in Florida, so I stayed with my Great-Aunt for a couple of days, before taking a flight out to my current location-- all with my Mother's assistance and approval. After my plane ticket had already been purchased, and on the night before my flight, he offered to let me back in the house, to which I obviously declined; there was no way I was going to go back into a verbally and sometimes physically abusive household that he had created.

Now that I'm living with my Grandparents, I am the happiest I've been in a very long time. I am obviously still on their insurance, and my Mother still has custody of me. My question is, would there be any way for my Mother to take me away from my grandparents before I'm 18? If so, what legal ways are there to fight against that if that were to happen (which I'm basically 100% certain it will never happen)? I'm only asking because it has been one of my biggest anxieties, and if there is any possibility of that coming to fruition, I'd like to know how to defend myself against it.
Adoption doesn't automatically require a name change. So, elaborate on what legal steps were taken in this "adoption". Because if he did legally adopt you, then he has legal parental rights too.

Miru

As I said, there are online high schools. You could probably finish high school in the same amount of time it would take you to finish a GED course and get a GED.
Thank you, but my education isn't really something I'm asking about, but again, I do appreciate it.

Anyway, would that be the only "downside" to refusing to go back, if a situation like the one I described occured?
Adoption doesn't automatically require a name change. So, elaborate on what legal steps were taken in this "adoption". Because if he did legally adopt you, then he has legal parental rights too.
Honestly, I have no idea. All I know is, for some reason, my legal surname is still my birth surname, and all of my identification says my birth surname as well. I figured I'd mention that detail just in case it was important.

xylene

I'm only asking because it has been one of my biggest anxieties, and if there is any possibility of that coming to fruition, I'd like to know how to defend myself against it.
Addressing your anxieties isn't exactly a legal question. You are a minor and have few rights. You grandparents might be able to fight for custody... though at least nominally you have the explicit permission of one parent maing that not really needed. Insunrance issues might be a problem, but you should be covered. Try not to get hurt. If you do any extreme sports or anything dangerous, this would be a good time to take a break.

Time is on your side. Not even 4 months. How is that for soothing?

paddywakk

Be VERY careful getting a diploma from an online high school, especially if you have to pay for it and can get it in a few days. Most college financial aid personnel are aware of diploma mills. LdiJ, I know that isn't what you meant.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The local (Florida) school district may offer an independent study high school diploma.

Unfortunately, the OP has the infinite wisdom imparted by youth, which has caused him/her to decide that a diploma just isn't worth the time and/or energy.

Miru

Addressing your anxieties isn't exactly a legal question. You are a minor and have few rights. You grandparents might be able to fight for custody... though at least nominally you have the explicit permission of one parent maing that not really needed. Insunrance issues might be a problem, but you should be covered. Try not to get hurt. If you do any extreme sports or anything dangerous, this would be a good time to take a break.

Time is on your side. Not even 4 months. How is that for soothing?
You're right, however, what is a legal question is what I asked, which also fufills the purpose of easing a bit of my stress. Thank you for answering, though.
The local (Florida) school district may offer an independent study high school diploma.

Unfortunately, the OP has the infinite wisdom imparted by youth, which has caused him/her to decide that a diploma just isn't worth the time and/or energy.
Actually, I know how valuable a diploma is, and I also know that a GED isn't as good as a regular highschool diploma, but of the things I've had to deal with concerning school, dropping out was the best option for me. I appreciate your response, but I'd also really appreciate it if you didn't assume my reasoning or how I feel about the decision I made.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Frankly, you had (and have) other options. That you refuse to even consider exploring them is unfortunate.

Miru

Frankly, you had (and have) other options. That you refuse to even consider exploring them is unfortunate.
Again, you assume I haven't, but I already have. Homeschooling? Done that. Alternative school was and is never an option. Those two were the only options I had besides dropping out, and I am very happy and content with the path I'm currently on. I appreciate your concern, but this thread's topic isn't about my schooling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">