• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some advice please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have to go back to court to get my things back that the ex took (he stripped the house of EVERTHING) and did $18,000 of damage to it. Divorce final last year (JUne). Bought the house, Sept. of last year.
I bought the house from my ex (my half to him). He clogged the drains, the air vents, all with potting soil, hay, and dirt. He broke the screens to the windows, put holes in the walls, took cat litter and crap and smeared all over the carpets, threw acid on the stamped concrete patio (kudos to him), bent the water pipes, scraped the kitchen floor, holes in the pool, etc. (he does carpetering on the side, so he knows what to mess with). I had six hours to vacat the premises from the judge (he tried and suceeded, that it was unfit that I lived there, even though he was the abusive one, and I have medical records to prove it, but one of us had to leave and it was me). When I bought the house and finally closed last year Sept. we were to agree to things left, well, he took everything, including the towels. The stove, fridge, washer, dryer, 3 living room sets, 5 bedroom sets, a tractor, lawnmower, all my christmas stuff that my mom bought me, antique hutches that were my grams, EVERY SINGLE THING, after 19 years of marriage, every gift bought for me from my parents, kids, etc. I was only allowed to take my "personal belognings" in 6 hours. He lived here until the house closed, which he didn't pay the mort. for almost 6 months and it went almost to foreclosure. So we gave him the money before we closed so he could get approved for his mort., and pay off his debt in order to get a mort. It was a mess. He even took my yearbooks. I mean he left nothing. There is not a day that goes by that I don't get upset that my things are gone, especially from my grams, who passed away when I was 10.

We were to divide the personal property in 1/2**************..which was done on paper through both lawyers. It went back and forth and back and forth trying to agree on things, and when he left (when I purchased the house), he took everything, regardless what the divorce papers said. I now have an motion to show contempt and bring him back to court to get my personal property back and damages, which I signed in May, but the lawyer has not since filed it in the courts. I do have my signed copy, notarized, but waiting for it to be filed. I moved in last year September, and I am sure my stuff is on ebay, or he is going to say he doesn't have it. I have pictures of everything in the house. Things were to be left in the house, not given back, but he refused. They garnished his wages for my alimony, the attorney went after his bank account through the sheriffs for $5,000 of the $28,000 for attorney fees (which he still owes $500, and my attorney wants me to pay him and then I go after him for the $500). So you see, he hasn't been very cooperative and it is very frustrating. Can I take my order and file it myself? My new attorney is my cousin, and is doing me a favor because I ran up such a bill with the old attorney and my old attorney couldn't deal with my ex anymore as far as the personal property. My ex just did what he wanted to do and my attorney nor his, could not stop him.

I have Affidavit in support of motion for contempt which states "pursuant to the terms of our divorce agreement, the marital personal property of the parties would be divided and if the could not be done by the agreement the property would be auctioned off in accordance with the terms set by the court" and "since the issuance of this judgment, the defendant moved out of the marital residence and removed all the marital and non marital perperty from the marital residence and it is unknown where any of marital personal property and seperate property is located"
Where do I go from here?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential