• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I was diganosed with carpal tunnel syndrom last Oct 99. In December I quite my job (where the problem occured) at the plastic company where I worked for 10 years. I discided to speak to a lawyer about 3 months ago (sometime in Feb of this year). I feel like she is not doing much for my case! I recieve copies of the letters the workman's comp sends her and in the last one they said that they sent her a list of questions about my work history and medical history and that it had not been sent back in the time it should have been ( 15 days of her recieving it). They also complained that she is not returning their phone calls! About 2 weeks ago she called me and told me she needed me to come in and sign the "medical history" release form (shouldn't this have been done from the beinning?!?!?) When I was diganosed with CTS in October my doctor said it was "border-line" CTS, but now it is much worse and I have not recieved ANY medical attention!!! I am really afraid that the delay in my "lawyers" action for my case is causing more damage. I can't quite working but afraid of the damage it is doing!
The problem is, I can't "fire" her because I signed a paper saying that if I let her go then I will have to pay $175 per hour she worked on my case! So you see, I can't afford to let her go but I also can't afford to wait for her to do SOMETHING while I damage my hands further!
What can I do? I hope i have given you enough info....


Senior Member
You can fire her and get another lawyer. If you are not satisfied speak with another lawyer and get his or her advice -- in some states retainer agreements such as you were asked to sign are illegal and wholly unenforceable. Even if not, any new lawyer would be able to work things out as part of taking on the case. Many states laso have procedures for arbitrating disputes between an attorney and the client.

This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential