• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need to access money in a savings account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My reply earlier is SUPER accurate. The best, cheapest way is to have an ambulette or medi-van bring her if she's willing.
It may be, if you make the assumption that the community she is in has such a service and that the bank in question is located in that community. But it is possible that neither assumption is accurate. For example, I went to high school in a pretty small community that even today does not have that kind of service because there is simply not nearly enough demand to make it worthwhile for someone to operate such a service.

I agree with quincy that the type of account matters a lot. The most common sort of bank accounts done for kids are created under the state's Uniform Gift to Minors Act (UGMA) or Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA) and under both laws as soon as the kid reaches either the age of majority or age 21 (it varies by state) the kid automatically has sole control of the account — no action by the custodian is needed. So if it is a UTMA/UGMA account there should be no need for the mother to come to the bank at all.

Last edited:

quincy

... Uniform Gift to Minors Act (UGMA) or Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA) and under both laws as soon as the kid reaches either the age of majority or age 21 (it varies by state) the kid automatically has sole control of the account — no action by the custodian is needed ...
That is why I think the account might be one of Michigan's education savings programs/trusts.

xylene

It may be, if you make the assumption that the community she is in has such a service and that the bank in question is located in that community.
It's possible. But if they don't I strongly doubt they have mobile notaries and many lawyers, still making the costs on bringing her to the bank probably quite favorable if that is what the bank has insisted on.

quincy

It's possible. But if they don't I strongly doubt they have mobile notaries and many lawyers, still making the costs on bringing her to the bank probably quite favorable if that is what the bank has insisted on.
I am puzzled by the bank's insistence on a custodian signature.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sure that there is a mobile notary that would travel to the OP...it's just a matter of cost ;)

quincy

There is "dial-a-ride" service available throughout much of Michigan and this service is handicap accessible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">