• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need to move out now!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srmac

I'm 17 years old I'll be 18 in December. I've always worked 2 jobs no matter what! Currently I have 3. I have practically live with my b/f of 3 year since this past July. My parents have been really cool about it as long as my car (Which I did pay for and I write my parents a check for insurance every month) is at their house at night (since the car title and insurance is in their names still) Now all of a sudden my dad blew his fuse... he has alway been a jerk to me about everything. I work by butt off to pay for everything and I mean EVERYTHING i have. I can make it living on my own but the question is how can I move out when I'm still only 17. I can live under my parents house anymore it's killin' me. Isn't their something a like I legal document I can get to move out at 17, i want to say its called an emancipation or something like that.. could someone please help?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You'll be 18 before an emancipation can happen, even if your state will grant one (not all states will). And most if not all states that do, require that you have your parents consent. (BTW, you didn't follow the rules of this site - it says very clearly to include your state.)

When you are 18, you can go wherever you want, whenever you want. Until then, you live where your parents say you do.

December is not that far away. You're not such a wuss that you can't stand it that long, are you?

HomeGuru

srmac said:
I'm 17 years old I'll be 18 in December. I've always worked 2 jobs no matter what! Currently I have 3. I have practically live with my b/f of 3 year since this past July. My parents have been really cool about it as long as my car is at there house at night (since the car title and insurance is in their names still) Now all of a sudden my dad blew his fuse... he has alway been a jerk to me about everything. I work by butt off to pay for everything and I mean EVERYTHING i have. I can make it living on my own but the question is how can I move out when I'm still only 17. I can live under my parents house anymore it's killin' me. Isn't their something a like I legal document I can get to move out at 17, i want to say its called an emancipation or something like that.. could someone please help?

**A: you are still a kid. Why have you not bought your OWN car and paid for your OWN insurance?

gwammaof2

Hang in there guy. btw the person who replied to your post missed what I read in your initial request for info, which was that you DID buy your own car and are paying your insurance. I would think that you have parents who are proud of that, as you certainly can be. I was a parent of 3 teenagers once, and they all had these absolutely normal needs when they reached your age to - cut the old apron strings. It sometimes got ugly for my family, as you seem to think your own situation is. I would advise, if you can get yourself through these really rocky months, that you do not cut off ties with your family yet. The bigger person will find a way through the trouble, and you sound smart and hard working, so that bigger person might be YOU. Being a parent is a really awful job sometimes, and some of us fail even though we think we are trying. Good luck, and keep paying those car payments and insurance bills.

Happy Trails

gwammaof2 said:
Hang in there guy. btw the person who replied to your post missed what I read in your initial request for info, which was that you DID buy your own car and are paying your insurance. I would think that you have parents who are proud of that, as you certainly can be. I was a parent of 3 teenagers once, and they all had these absolutely normal needs when they reached your age to - cut the old apron strings. It sometimes got ugly for my family, as you seem to think your own situation is. I would advise, if you can get yourself through these really rocky months, that you do not cut off ties with your family yet. The bigger person will find a way through the trouble, and you sound smart and hard working, so that bigger person might be YOU. Being a parent is a really awful job sometimes, and some of us fail even though we think we are trying. Good luck, and keep paying those car payments and insurance bills.

If you notice, Srmac, edited their post after Homeguru responded. Look at HG's qoute, that was the original post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">