• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need to take a day off from work for a tooth extraction, what can my employer do to

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thanks for all the great replies. I'm going to talk to my boss when I get in at 3 today. Yes, switching shifts would be the easiest on my work. Although I'm not keen on it or looking forward to working 9 hours with no food or drink after getting 3 hours sleep after working another 9 hours before, it would be the least work impacting option. We'll see what he says and if he can even switch shifts with me. If not, then I don't know what I'm going to do.

The procedure they are going to do will require me to be sedated as they have to break the tooth apart to get it out. They are also going to prep me for an implant. And like the other poster said, I need to have a driver with me and have someone around for a day as I won't be able to drive myself and will be recovering.

eerelations

I was totally conscious during the procedure and was given a prescription for my pain afterwards.
You needed a prescription pain killer? After an extraction that was simple enough for you to be totally conscrious throughout? Wow. I am really amazed by this. I've had four extractions over the last five or six years and I've never had to take even an aspirin, let alone a prescription pill. And I've returned to work within an hour of each extraction.

CSO286

You needed a prescription pain killer? After an extraction that was simple enough for you to be totally conscrious throughout? Wow. I am really amazed by this. I've had four extractions over the last five or six years and I've never had to take even an aspirin, let alone a prescription pill. And I've returned to work within an hour of each extraction.
To be fair to the OP, he did state this was more than just a simple extraction.

W

Willlyjo

Willy -

THIS OP needs to be under sedation. Your situation was entirely different.
I respectfully disagree Zig. As the OP said, his extraction required "breaking the tooth apart" to get it extracted. In my case, one of my teeth came out in pieces. However, I experienced a lot of pain for like 3 weeks afterwards and noticed there was a bit of tooth left where the extraction was made.

I had to go back to the dentist where they "froze" the area and cut out a couple little pieces to complete the extraction they thought was completed a few weeks before. I had no problem going back to work.

Maybe there is an exception here requiring the OP to be put "under" in order to extract his tooth. I agree there could be, however, my case is quite similar so not being a professional, I can't understand the necessity of being heavily sedated.

W

Willlyjo

So you DO basically agree with me that it is reasonable to return to work after an extracted tooth right?

In my case, one of my teeth were cut out in pieces (as I said)...thus the need for medication for pain. BTW...your response was very reasonable for a change...keep up the good work ; > )

CSO286

BTW...your response was very reasonable for a change...keep up the good work ; > )
OMG!!!!!

ee, you received willyjo's seal of approval. Better go back quick and review your post!!!

In any event, every patient is different, not every extraction is identical, and there are situations that warrant deep sedation over local anesthetic.

Not knowing (and it's kind of irrelevant) the OP's full medical/dental sitaution, we shouldn't be judging whether or not he needs full sedation or the whole day off.
He is asking about the best way possible to handle this with his employer, and he has recieved the answer.

I think we're done here.

eerelations

I had four wisdon teeth pulled all at once about 30 years ago and two of them fell apart during the extraction and while I didn't go right back to work after that (I was a student and it was a Saturday), I still didn't need a prescription pain killer. I took two aspirin before bed and that was that.

I was expressing amazement that a big ol' tough guy like you WilllyJo :rolleyes: can't handle a little ol' toothache. And has to wait two whole hours before he can go back to work, even with a prescription pain killer in his system.

Last edited:

Isis1

i thought i handled four child labors without meds pretty darn well.

but for a tooth extraction, put me out. uh uh. and i'll take the painkillers after. perferably something really strong. i'll need to next two days off.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I had four wisdon teeth pulled all at once about 30 years ago and two of them fell apart during the extraction and while I didn't go right back to work after that (I was a student and it was a Saturday), I still didn't need a prescription pain killer. I took two aspirin before bed and that was that.

I was expressing amazement that a big ol' tough guy like you WilllyJo :rolleyes: can't handle a little ol' toothache. And has to wait two whole hours before he can go back to work, even with a prescription pain killer in his system.
Same process for me (except it was 20 years ago) except my extraction went just fine...and I was out for nearly a week.

EVERY patient is different.

W

Willlyjo

Hmmm...like it was said elsewhere in this thread, each extraction may have certain circumstances requiring different procedures to address it and different results as far as pain tolerance. Tough guy eh? You have no idea. I could document situations in my life that would amaze you as to the extent of my toughness. It is a fact that in my day, I was Spartan tough.

As far as me misinterpreting you and that's why I complimented you, it seems you have low self esteem to believe that I'd have to misinterprete your post in order to compliment you. Really, the compliment was genuine.

It is annoying that someone like CSO has to come out and embellish because I gave you a pat on the back. We should keep this thread going in the direction it is suppose to go.

Last edited:

CSO286

Hmmm...like it was said elsewhere in this thread, each extraction may have certain circumstances requiring different procedures to address it. Tough guy eh? You have no idea. I could document situations in my life that would amaze you as to the extent of my toughness. It is a fact that in my day, I was Spartan tough.

As far as me misinterpreting you and that's why I complimented you, it seems you have low self esteem to believe that I'd have to misinterprete your post in order to compliment you. Really, the compliment was genuine.

It is annoying that someone like CSO has to come out and embellish because I gave you a pat on the back. We should keep this thread going in the direction it is suppose to go.
:rolleyes::cool::rolleyes:

commentator

Back to the original question....if your employer so choses, he could terminate you for taking the time off. However, if he is short handed, and doesn't want to make the situation worse, and you really MUST do this before the other person comes back, your best option is to try your best to work this out so that your boss is the least inconvenienced he possibly can be.

Then if he does decide he MUST fire you, then you file for unemployment insurance and have a pretty good chance of getting it approved. They would say that having a dental emergency that you absolutely could not postpone, with a statement from the dentist to back you up, would not be considered a misconduct reason to be away from work, particularly if you did everything you reasonably could to pre-approve this absence with the employer and resolve the problem.

But in your state, if they want to, the employer can certainly fire you for just about any reason. Unemployment insurance is the only place where having a medical excuse may change your outcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">