• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I purchased a business from a sole proprietor, with a down payment and financing. Two months later the owner passed away. What is my liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

While I do not necessarily disagree with this, I think that more information is necessary to give the OP any truly valid advice.
I agree that more information is needed.

What sort of purchase agreement is in place - and what "liability" is of concern - would be a start.

xylene

The OP needs to contact a lawyer, especially if a large amount of money is involved.

It is possible the OP could negotiate a great deal on the remaining payments.

LdiJ

The OP needs to contact a lawyer, especially if a large amount of money is involved.

It is possible the OP could negotiate a great deal on the remaining payments.
And part of that possibility depends on whether or not we are talking about an actual bricks and mortar enterprise or something that is far less tangible...which is why more information is needed.

quincy

There are all sorts of possibilities ...

... but I suspect in the end the best advice will remain xylene's "contact a local lawyer."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">