• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I really need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wisconsin... What would happen if I purchased a vehicle for somebody who didn’t have a license because of three DUI’s in a different state? If I allowed him to use this car, titled in my name, paid the car insurance bundled with my car insurance... could I be held accountable if something happened?

quincy

Wisconsin... What would happen if I purchased a vehicle for somebody who didn’t have a license because of three DUI’s in a different state? If I allowed him to use this car, titled in my name, paid the car insurance bundled with my car insurance... could I be held accountable if something happened?
Yes. You could be held accountable.

I strongly recommend that you do not help anyone break the law.

Yes. You could be held accountable.

I strongly recommend that you do not help anyone break the law.
Thank you, my concern is losing my house or something. My dad died in a horrible car accident and I worry that if something happened they would put a lien on my house. Do you know if that’s possible?

quincy

Thank you, my concern is losing my house or something. My dad died in a horrible car accident and I worry that if something happened they would put a lien on my house. Do you know if that’s possible?
It could be possible, yes.

You know the person is unlicensed and you know the reason why he is unlicensed. Please do not help put this person behind the wheel of a car.

LdiJ

Yes, it is definitely possible. You could be sued and held responsible for anything that the non licensed driver did. Please be smart and do not put yourself in that position.

Maymee

As others have said, do not help this person. Three DUIs in many states is a habitual offender. If they were in an accident, regardless of injuries or not, and this person was drunk again, you could even be charged criminally for your role in providing the person with a vehicle while fully aware of the person’s history of drunk driving and being unlicensed as a result.

So yes, you could be sued. You could wind up losing everything sans somewhere in the area of about $4k of personal property. Additionally, your auto insurance will drop you. Not may drop you, WILL drop you and it will hard to find any affordable insurance.

Your money would be better spent on rehab. Although it only works if the alcoholic wants help to quit and based on the fact s/he is wanting you to purchase a car for them to use, I don’t think that’s their case. Save your money for something worthy.

zddoodah

What would happen if I purchased a vehicle for somebody who didn’t have a license because of three DUI’s in a different state?
Any number of thousands of things might happen. Why on Earth would you consider doing something like this?

If I allowed him to use this car, titled in my name, paid the car insurance bundled with my car insurance... could I be held accountable if something happened?
If something happened? Something will unquestionably happen (probably many somethings). If you're asking if you could be held criminally and/or civilly liable if you proceed with this monumentally foolish plan and the other person kills or injures someone and/or causes property damage, the answer is unquestionably yes for civil liability. Could you face criminal liability for facilitating an unlicensed driver? I would imagine so, and you'd also likely have problems with your insurance coverage.

I worry that if something happened they would put a lien on my house. Do you know if that’s possible?
I'm not sure who "they" are, but if someone sues you and obtains a judgment, that person could place a lien against your house as a means of enforcing the judgment.

izzie02

It's not been said that I can see. Any insurance you have on the car will not cover a uninsured, unlicensed driver. Insurance will not cover the claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">