• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I recieved a copy of a returned check after Bank closed my account . The check copy says it's legal and to use as I would the orig

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Texas, perhaps?

Never mind. I see your profile says you are located in Kansas.

What type of check was returned to you after the bank closed your account?

Last edited:

Chyvan

I'll guess that you got a check to be a "mystery shopper." Your first assignment was to deposit a check and after it "clears" to test the Western Union service at Walmart.

The check copy you received is a substitute check and is a copy of the bogus check you received that later bounced, overdrew your account, and was the reason the bank closed your account because you proved yourself gullible and high risk customer they didn't want to do business with anymore.

Sure, you can use the check again, but you'll get the same result the first time you cashed it. The check is no good.

Chyvan

I've seen this before.

The mystery shopper
You've won a lottery, and here's an advance on your winnings to pay the taxes, and here's where you send it. It has to come from you.
I'll rent your apartment. The trustee of my trust will be sending you a check with a surplus that you need to remit back to me to cover my moving expenses because they'll only do one check.

All the situations result in you getting a substitute check that's yellow back from your bank, and the same language that this person is using, and the bank almost always closes the account.

https://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/the-legal-environment-and-advanced-business-law/section_20/9cc2da781ad190e544781632c6366613.jpg

In today's world, if the check is good, you never see it again. When it bounces, you get a substitute check back in case you want to take the time to collect on it.

I doubt dallas is coming back to give all the nitty gritty details, but the end result is the same, the check is no good.

Chyvan

What facts do you think that dallas could provide that's going to change anything? Have you ever got a substitute check back from your bank? I can tell you right now he didn't get a check for the balance in his account because the checks that banks write, don't have that language. Some rare people that still get their cancelled checks in their statements might, but most people have never seen one.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Strange, I've seen several of those that didn't have anything to do with mystery shoppers...

LdiJ

Mystery shoppers? Walgreens? Your posts were creative but guesses.
They are guesses, but one of those yellow substitute checks means that the check bounced. Banks do not close someone's bank account just because a check they deposited bounced. Banks close someone's account when they suspect fraud of some sort. The odds of that check bein something other than someone defrauded the OP is pretty slim.

quincy

Chyvan created a story in her mind and posted it as if she knew what the poster’s situation was. She knows nothing about dallasdallas unless she is dallasdallas under a different username.

Personal experiences can only be instructive when relevant.

LdiJ

Chyvan created a story in her mind and posted it as if she knew what the poster’s situation was. She knows nothing about dallasdallas unless she is dallasdallas under a different username.

Personal experiences can only be instructive when relevant.
I happen to disagree with you that what Chyvan post was totally irrelevant. It is a reasonably likely scenario given the specific facts at hand.

quincy

I happen to disagree with you that what Chyvan post was totally irrelevant. It is a reasonably likely scenario given the specific facts at hand.
It is a made up story. Whether it has any resemblance to the truth is something we can’t say unless dallasdallas returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">