• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I recorded a conversation with the other party knowing, can I post it online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rob2

What is the name of your state? WA

I recorded a phone conversation with my insurance company and during the beginning it was stated that "This call may be recorded". I want to post it online, is there anything I should watch out for or am I free to do so? There isn't any sensitive information and I would of course scrub it out before posting.

I'm frustrated with my situation/bill and just want people to know. Is that ok?

BTW I'm not sure if this is the correct forum category to post in, please let me know if there's a different one.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I recorded a phone conversation with my insurance company and during the beginning it was stated that "This call may be recorded".
Under Revised Code of Washington section 9.73.030 you need the consent of all the parties to the conversation to make your recording of the conversation. You are considered to have that consent if any party to the conversation has already announced prior to recording his/her intent to record the conversation and you have recorded that statement by the other party of intent to record the conversation. If you meet those conditions then the recording was legally made and you may post it if you wish without violating Washington law. Whether the law of some other state may apply here and whether the recording would be legal under the laws of that other state depends on all the facts, including where the insurance rep was located at the time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Washington state requires the consent of all parties involved. You don't have the consent of the other party to record the call.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Under Revised Code of Washington section 9.73.030 you need the consent of all the parties to the conversation to make your recording of the conversation. You are considered to have that consent if any party to the conversation has already announced prior to recording his/her intent to record the conversation and you have recorded that statement by the other party of intent to record the conversation. If you meet those conditions then the recording was legally made and you may post it if you wish.
Yeah, that ;)

quincy

Here is a link to a brief (2014) overview of defamation law in Washington state:

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/washington-defamation-law

Even if you were to obtain consent to record a conversation to which you are a party, publishing the conversation can come with additional legal risks. It is not just what is said in a conversation but what is said about the conversation that can spawn a lawsuit.

It is smartest to personally hammer out an understanding between you and the insurance company without complicating the situation by involving others by making online comments about the insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">