• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I sold a car to someone taking monthly payments and now I can't get car back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jabez5885

First of all this is Texas I'm in. My story is... I bought a car from a guy. I got the title signed with all the the paper work that go's along with it(bill of sale etc etc). When I had him sign all the other paper work I told him I was planning on reselling the car. I did'nt have enough money at the time to put the car in my name and I sold to a women. I made a contract with her that her payments are due at the first of each month. Also she has a grace period till the 15th of each month. Well it's been two months now since I've received a payment. Would not give the car back so I told her since she's causing me all this trouble I was going to get the car and not return it. I suppose that made her very upset and she went behind my back and went to the original owner of the car and told him I sold her the car, but they had lost the title. So him being such a nice guy said no problem I'll sign what I need to sign. He did. I contacted him asking what happen and he's blown away. He told me he would do anything it takes to help me and that it was a mistake. So now I'm being told this is a civil matter. I've tried to talk to a judge but they do not want to listen to a word I say. They just said fill out this paper work... on the paper work it says basicly I"m going to court to sue her for cash only and not property. I want the car back now though and not the money. If I have to settle for money thats fine though. The thing is if I fight for the car and the judge sends them a letter saying that have say 10 days to appear in court well.... in those 10 days they can strip my car and take what they want. So is there an emergency way I can take care of this? Thanks whoever reads all of this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You tried to screw the government, but ended up getting screwed yourself...

Sue the bad person in small claims court. You will be suing for the amount left in the contract. I think you don't have that good of a case...

jabez5885

You tried to screw the government, but ended up getting screwed yourself...

Sue the bad person in small claims court. You will be suing for the amount left in the contract. I think you don't have that good of a case...

Thanks for the answer, but how did I try and screw the government? Is it because I have'nt paid my taxes? I had all the intentions of doing that acctually because I needed to get a registration sticker for the person I sold the car too. Besides that I've asked a few local cops including one of them being the chief of police and they said with all the info I have it's technically 100% proof it's my car and I can do what I want with it. Just don't see how I did anything wrong you know? Thanks.

jabez5885

Also she has no receipt that she's finished paying me for the vehicle. I've sent her certified letters and I have a pretty good contract thats notarized and everything.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You aren't allowed to buy a vehicle and not title it in your name. THAT'S what you did wrong :rolleyes:

jabez5885

You aren't allowed to buy a vehicle and not title it in your name. THAT'S what you did wrong :rolleyes:

That's what I figured. Well then technically the contract I made does'nt mean anything then if I sold her a car that does'nt belong to me. I guess I'll just see what happens in the courts. Thanks for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">